Sunday, January 01, 2006
And Thus Begins... 2006
Happy fucking New Year. That's right. I dropped the f-bomb... again. It all started last night. My husband and I had this conversation at the grocery store:

"Well, should we get some black-eyed peas? It's tradition ya know..." (A southern tradition that is)
"Naw" replied my husband "I don't like them and that thing about needing them for luck is all bullshit anyway."
"Okaaaaaay..." I said, because I'm a pseudo-Southerner and these southern traditions don't affect me. My husband, however is from a teeny little town called Borger, TX and he NEEDS to eat black-eyed peas. So we didn't buy them.

Let's go to this morning. We wake up to 75 mph wind gusts (did ya'll know Amarillo is a windy town?). Great. I hate the wind. It's so.... windy.

CRAAAAAACKKKK

Uh-oh. THAT didn't sound right. I looked outside and see.... nothing. Which is not good. I should be seeing a fence. And dogs. CRAP!!

So we went running around the neighborhood in our pj's (and seeing as I'm still in PJ's, I have no bra on. Even though I'm not big by any means, things still flop uncomfortably when running) but the neighbors enjoyed it I think. They must have eaten their black-eyed peas.

Our dogs corraled, and our herding complete, we started trying to fix the fence. In 75mph winds. Yeah. That blows. (heh) My husband pulled out his hammer and tried to pound a nail in, but got his thumb instead. I learned a whole new way string cuss words together!!

The posts cracked at the ground, so they are useless. He is right now on his way to the lumber store to buy new fencing stuff. I tried to tell him that it's probably closed - since it's New Year's Day, but he didn't want to listen. He is convinced he can open the store by sheer force of will.

So I am now blogging, and waiting for him to get back. So we can fix the fence and let the dogs back out. I'll post pictures later.

He should have eaten black-eyed peas...

Norman!
 
posted by Norman at 10:18 AM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At Sunday, January 01, 2006 11:19:00 AM, Blogger RVVagabond

    We wintered in Harlingen in 2001 and sitting outside trying to read a book or magazine was like Chinese water torture in the winds. Non-stop. We played golf one day and watched as Denny's perfect chip shot to the green was snatched by the wind and hurled down into the pond in front of the green. That was it for Denny-no more winters in Texas!

     
  • At Sunday, January 01, 2006 11:20:00 AM, Blogger pack of 2

    fortheloveofgod...WHEN will these foolish men listen! It seems like they should have figured it out by now...We women know what is best.

    Maybe when he finds out that the lumber store is closed....he can stop by the grocery store & pick up a can of black eyed peas...LOL...that would be so funny if he did that!!!

    Men are not thinkers in the way women are...silly husband...maybe he iwll listen next time...um...I doubt it though:)

    HAppy New Year Norman:)

    Shel

     
  • At Sunday, January 01, 2006 12:15:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    OHMIGOD!! Color me dumb...!! The guy that owns the franchise for this lumber store knows a money making deal when he sees one... he opened the store since it was so windy and he knew people would need fence parts.

    Oh, and Chad DID come home with a can of peas... LOL!!

    norman!

     
  • At Sunday, January 01, 2006 7:11:00 PM, Blogger Mise en Place

    Crap! Happy New Year, huh? That just sucks to say the least. I'm glad it wasn't your thumb.

    What is it with the black-eyed peas thing? Being from the Northeast, I know nothing of it. BUT, if it brings good luck, then eat up baby, lol!

     
  • At Monday, January 02, 2006 10:29:00 AM, Blogger pack of 2

    UGH....black-eyed peas....that brings back some nasty childhood memories! I remember seeing them soaking on New Year's eve every year...and the stench of them as my Mom made them on New Year's Day. She always made all three of us take a bite of them every year so we would have good luck all year. I also grew up in the south...can you tell? I fucking hate them!

    I'm glad you got your dogs back okay.:)

    Angie

     
  • At Monday, January 02, 2006 4:00:00 PM, Blogger Nicki

    My parents do the whole black eyed peas thing. And collard greens. Those are supposed to be good for money in the new year.

    I was GOING to eat them both, but settled for Applebee's instead.

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com