Sunday, January 25, 2009
A little PSA from Norman
Hey !


So APPARENTLY...someone is running up charges on my debit card. Luckily - my bank put a fraud stop on my card, but all day today - I saw different charges come in for products & services that I did not ask for.

They are signing me up for the coolest things though...things like iTunes, Netflix, AARP (?? a geriatric thief?)... Proactiv ( a geriatric thief with ACNE??)

Thankfully - I've already been signed up for a pre-paid identity theft service which had better pull through for me or I'll be mightly pissed....

but honestly kids - check your spam filters & monitor emails that say: "We've received your order" or "We received your request for an account".

While most of those are phishing scams, this one was actually true because I noticed it had my whole name & my old address listed on it.

The bank is working on this like a champ though, and I've already started a claim with them. It is pretty scary though. When I checked my email tonight, I had 4 different emails from different companies saying "We sorry we couldn't process your request for Proactiv because your card has been declined " (aaaawwww...so sorry my pimple popping thief will be declined their monthly ration of Proactiv)

But just a little PSA, pay close attention to your emails and your bank charges. If you can check your debit charges online, do it frequently.... So far - they've only made off with about $200, and my bank will give it back to me... but they did say they've seen a huge increase in this within the last few months.

So Beware!!!

(p.s. Maybe it's the woman I wouldn't put into an SUV? But just to be mean I DID go back and approve her for a minivan...MWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!)
 
posted by Norman at 8:17 PM | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:31:00 PM, Blogger Unknown

    They got my sister this last summer to the tune of $7,000. Turns out my brother in law had applied for some kind of store credit card and they nabbed his application and that's how they got his social and all that. They caught him because he ordered pizza, and the pizza place's address came through, so the cops were able to get the address that the pizza was delivered to and justice was served. Hope your stuff gets all taken care of.

     
  • At Monday, January 26, 2009 4:19:00 AM, Blogger mo.stoneskin

    A friend of mine was a victim of online card fraud. The bugger that stole his details spent 650 quid on lego.

    Lego?

    Sheese.

    Who spends 650 quid on lego?

    I was probably a three year old hacker.

     
  • At Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:51:00 PM, Blogger Christine

    Way to go to be on top of this shit.

    Fortunately, my family has already stolen all my credit cards so a scammer is going to be sorely disappointed in his take.

     
  • At Sunday, February 01, 2009 12:22:00 AM, Blogger Nancy

    After my wallet was stolen, we tried to cancel all the checks I might have had... but I usually only carried one.. and had lost the number of the check.

    So

    A couple of months after the robbery, a woman wrote herself a $500 check on the acct. We caught it the next day and I think the bank went after her. They reimbursed me the money and we closed that account (well, finished closing it), and got the last of the bills transfered out of there.

    She had the nerve to label the check as a "personal loan".

    Grrrrrrr

     
  • At Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I miss Norman...

     
  • At Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:29:00 PM, Blogger Wesley Sprinkle

    That's strange-

    I just found out yesterday that someone was using my credit card and my old address to order Proactiv and Netflix and iTunes, and I few other things I forgot about.

    I have to admit, I was suprised to get any relavent search results when I Googled "identity theft netflix proactiv". I can honestly say I feel your pain.

     
  • At Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:49:00 AM, Blogger Wesley Sprinkle

    No, I didn't click the link you mentioned, but there was a $2.XX charge for a grants website on my account.

    I think that our old, pimpled thief stole information from a legitimate transaction I made sometime over 10 months ago. They have my old address and the email address I use for online shopping, so I am thinking it was probably a web transaction. But maybe not- I need to check with my bank.

    I like your blog!

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com