Saturday, October 22, 2005
Do-it-yourself despooking
I did a little reading online about apparitions & house cleansings. I'm not going to try to freak out my kids too much by hanging chicken feet from the ceiling fan blades, or walk around with a garlic necklace, but I did read quite a few sites that suggested talking to spirits.

Why are candles necessary? The only candle I had on hand were my little glass votives. They're really cheap & I buy them this time of year since pumpkin smashers are plentiful, and don't always take the candles out before rolling your pumpkin down the street... but I digress! During naptime, I shut all the appliances off in the house, pulled the shades (so the neighbors wouldn't see me), and walked around with my little lit candle. I walked from room to room and declared each & every room to be MINE! I told them to move on, this was our house, and they needed to depart. I spoke that clearly & firmly in each room. By the time I got to the bedroom, I was starting to feel better about the whole thing. Made it through the bedroom and went into the master bathroom. I set the candle down, and went into the closet. I firmly stated "This is my house....." and the fucking candle blew up. I think I almost blew out my pants as well (not really, but I think I may have tinkled a bit). That really scared me!

I'm going to be rational and just guess that that was a weak spot in the votive. Right? I mean, candle holders can blow up, right? SOMEBODY REASSURE ME THAT CANDLES REALLY DO BLOW UP!!

norm
 
posted by Norman at 7:23 PM | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At Saturday, October 22, 2005 8:40:00 PM, Blogger Michael

    Candles blow up on me all the time.

    REALLY


    ... Those little sucker votive candles have that little metal tab on the bottom that gets hot and will melt the candle from the bottom as well. Then plop the whole thing falls apart.

    As long as you didn't find anything in the closet I am sure you are fine. A spirit would have laughed in your face as it happened.

    Take Care
    Michael

     
  • At Saturday, October 22, 2005 8:59:00 PM, Blogger Nap Queen

    Um, yeah, they blow up all the time? Do another cleanse and see if it happens again. I'm thinking about you! I told my sister about what happened, and she totally understands what you're going through.

     
  • At Saturday, October 22, 2005 9:12:00 PM, Blogger Northwoods Woman

    Light a candle in each corner of the room, if two or more blow up, you're screwed dear.

     
  • At Saturday, October 22, 2005 9:58:00 PM, Blogger Michelle

    Go see Stephanie's ghost story.

    http://littlesweetdreams.blogspot.com/

    I think so, but I would do it again and see what happens, like nap queen said.

     
  • At Sunday, October 23, 2005 12:46:00 AM, Blogger fnordboy

    So did the cleansing seem to help? Maybe you should try to do an EVP to see why it is there.

    Drop me an email (fnordboy AT gmail dot com), I may be able to help you with somethings.

     
  • At Sunday, October 23, 2005 8:56:00 AM, Blogger Norman

    Michael & Nap Queenie, thanks for reassuring me about the candles. I've never had one blow up on me before, and so it was just I guess a coincidence with the timing & all.

    Livey - I'm NOT lighting anymore candles! Do you know how long it took me to get the wax off of everything??!!

    Fnordboy - I emailed you... thanks!

    Michelle - I went to Stephanie's blog... it's very entertaining! Her ghost story sounded a lot like what goes on here. and look! Stephanie even came here to help me!

    thanks guys! Ya'll are the greatest!

    NORM!

     
  • At Sunday, October 23, 2005 4:02:00 PM, Blogger Andi

    Instead of votive candles, try a white taper candle, even if it's a wide one. Try white for sure...at least that is what my friend says. When you walk from room to room, not only should you declare that to be your space, but you should also let the spirit know that they have no business left here and to go to God. Gosh, I hope that all helps ya!

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com