Monday, October 24, 2005
What did he just say????
Marvin K. Mooney
Which Dr. Seuss character are you?

brought to you by Quizilla

I got the above quiz after I visited Stephanie's blog. My son LOVES Dr. Seuss!.

It reminded me of the time I thought he'd developed a serious attitude problem. I was home for the day, and Ethan was 2 at the time. Since I didn't have to go to work - I thought I'd do some 'real work' around the house, and started washing dishes. About that time, Ethan toddled in and said..VERY CLEARLY "Mommy. I can't find my fuckin' socks." Oh NOOOOO!! I'm so going to knock the fire outta my husband. I mean - I certainly don't say that word out loud at home. Never! (seriously folks!) But in the meantime, I decide not to make a big deal out of the f-bomb because I don't want that word to stick with him... do I? "Um. Sweetie - you're socks are in your dresser drawer. Why don't you go look for them?" He gave me a 'Huh?' look and went to his room. I washed a few more dishes, and then I heard it again. "MOOOOMMMMMY!! I FOUND MY FUCKIN' SOCKS!"

That's it. I threw the dishrag down and stomped into his room. I was ready to ask him WHERE exactly he had heard that word, and then I was prepared to call my husband and read him the riot act (cause we all know I'm good at starting riots). I turned the corner into Ethan's room, and he was sitting calmly in the middle of the floor reading his book. His Dr. Seuss book. "See Mommy? Fuckin' Socks". It's his beloved Fox in Socks. His very favorite book in the wholewideworld. The book I have to read to him every night. The book he has memorized by rote. Fox in Sox. THANK GOD!

I then did what any parent would do in this situation. I called my mom, and put her beloved grandson on the phone. Held up the book. "Ethan! Tell Memere what this book is!" "FUCKIN SOCKS!" yeah!! My mother has a great sense of humor. She gets my dad on the phone. (My dad is the one who e-mailed me the pumpkin butt, nuff said)Ethan repeats for him his favorite book title. My dad calls his friends. and so on. My phone rang all day. Different family members called Ethan to ask him about his favorite book. Then, at bedtime, we read "Fuckin' Socks" one last time, then I hid it away for a while. Time to work on enunciation! And definitely not a book to bring to church anytime soon. But ya know what? We recorded him saying this on the computer. It's on either a .wav or .mp3 format. If I can figure out how to post it.. I will!

NORM!
 
posted by Norman at 5:47 PM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com