Sunday, March 09, 2008
Solidarity
Sometimes, I don't have an explanation for why I feel the way I do. I just wake up some mornings, and whatever my feeling is at that moment, underlines the way I feel the entire day.

And sometimes, watching the news in the morning puts me in the mood for the day. Which is why I don't watch the news. I try to click it to the Disney Channel to get myself going. But this morning, I lost the remote.

Bicker Bicker Bicker, that's all that was on. Democrats vs. Republicans, Obama vs. Clinton...YUCK! I hate politics. It's why you never see a political preference on here from me. I like the candidate I like, I have my reasons why, and I don't try to cram MY opinion down everyone's throat. But still. The division bothers me. And it got me yearning for something.

Remember the days following 9/11? Everybody loved each other. Everybody joined together. Solidarity. I remember walking in the mall about a week after, seeing yet another replay of the hit, and realizing that if it hadn't have been for a meeting on that very day, at that very time..... I would have lost my brother. (Pentagon). I blinked back some tears, and a complete stranger walked by and put their arm around my shoulder. Solidarity.

Everyone was there for each other. Everyone was proud of their country. Everyone's favorite color was Flag.

And I miss that. I hate that it takes a tragedy of gargantuan magnitude to make everyone realize that we are all in this world together. I hate that some people feel that THEIR VIEW is the PROPER VIEW and strive to beat down others to make them see that point of view.

I hate that other people care what Britney Spears is doing instead of caring for their neighbor, or checking on an elderly neighbor.

I hate that. My wish for the day, is that whoever is reading this, will just go out & do a random act of kindness for someone -- and not expect anything in return.

Thank you.... that is all
 
posted by Norman at 12:47 PM | Permalink |


8 Comments:


  • At Monday, March 10, 2008 3:49:00 AM, Blogger RVVagabond

    ((Norm))

     
  • At Monday, March 10, 2008 4:46:00 AM, Blogger Marni

    ***applauds***

    "Everyone's favorite color was Flag." -- I have to say that is one of the most powerful statements I have read in a long time. Awesome!

     
  • At Monday, March 10, 2008 9:17:00 AM, Blogger Unknown

    Powerfully written and passionately stated. I think...I truly believe that there are more of us who think and feel exactly as you do Norm. We still hold out hope that the promise of this great country lies securly in the hearts of its people. The frustration of seeing those dreams fulfilled lies with our elected leaders who seem more determined to define who we are rather than letting us define who they should be. Keep the faith. The goodness of America is in its people and you are an example of that.

     
  • At Monday, March 10, 2008 2:28:00 PM, Blogger KathyLikesPink

    I totally agree with you. That's why I *hate* to discuss politics. I *hate* to have any of the talking heads news channels on. If my husband has it on I have to leave the room. [Why can't they just get OVER themselves already.]

    Excellent post.

     
  • At Monday, March 10, 2008 5:11:00 PM, Blogger Coffeypot

    I don't like what is being said on television and in the news rags either, so I'm just going to bury my head in the sand. That way I won’t know when someone else takes over my country. It won’t be my fault.

     
  • At Monday, March 10, 2008 9:00:00 PM, Blogger KathyLikesPink

    So, Coffeypot, you really believe what all those spin doctors are saying?

    Good luck with that.

     
  • At Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:17:00 PM, Blogger revintraining

    Oh wow, I was having some of these same thoughts yesterday. I went to an AIDS in Africa exhibit, and started to wonder why this isn't a major new story. We should be caring about our neighbors (both around the corner and around the world) instead of who's screwing who in Hollywood.
    *gets off soapbox*

     
  • At Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:13:00 PM, Blogger Nicki

    Wow. That gave me chills.

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com