Sunday, January 20, 2008
Poor Chick Posting
Hey! Wanna hear the sound of $2,000????!!!! If you were in Las Vegas, I'm sure most of you would be going: "CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG WINNER WINNER WINNER!!!"

But here at Norman's house it goes: "PHHSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOSER LOSER LOSER!!!!!"

So let me explain. My husband, bless his misguided little heart, decided to do me a solid and install a shelf in my laundry room slash pantry. I really did need this shelf, so I granted him the opportunity to use power tools in my domain.

The man busted out all his toolnesses, and started searching for studs (in the wall. I know some of you have gutter minds. Stay with me). AnyHOO. We have metal studs. He managed to locate all of them, and marked each spot where the drilling needed to occur. Then he began. The first two spots went beautifully. The very last? Not so much.

"PHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS......." "SHHHHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!" yelled my husband. "PPPPPPHHHHHHSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" "SHIT SHIT SHITSHITSHITSHIT!!!!!!!!!"

"Problems?" I questioned, wondering why my head felt curiously balloony. "IT'S THE COMPRESSION LINE FOR THE AC!!! SHHHHHHITTTTTTTT!!!!"

"What's that sound?" Strange. For some reason I was unable to grasp the severity of the problem.

"IT'S FREON! HOLD YOUR BREATH!"

"But you have your nose right up to the air stream. I feel great and happy. How about you?"

"SHIIIIITT!!"

So while the freon from the compression line streamed merrily into the house, I calmly gathered the kids, sent them upstairs (cuz it was too cold to send them outside, and my clouded reasoning was that the freon was heavier than the air and would stay downstairs. I hope I was right.) and set about opening all the windows in the house.

Then I called an airconditioning person. Who scalped us with his arrival because it was Sunday and we had to pay the emergency fees.

Then they delivered the bad news: The entire compression line must be replaced. Ouch. OK. Please fix it (I was still high on freon). Then the shocker. We must recharge all the freon. To the tune of $60/pound. Our unit requires 30 pounds.

Oweee.

So to replace the freon alone, will be $1770. Not to mention the cost of replacing the compression line. Haven't gotten the quote back on THAT yet. I'm still reeling from the cost of the freon. And the high.

I've been working overtime at work now to help defray some of the expense, which should explain my absence from the blog.

I'm sure you guys understand. Anybody want to donate to a worthy cause? If not, I'm sure I can send my husband to your house to install any shelving you need. Any takers???
 
posted by Norman at 10:34 AM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:09:00 PM, Blogger Coffeypot

    No way! I screw up my home repairs quiet well with help from him, thank you very much. I have busted water lines, got the shit shocked out of me drilling into an electrical wire, spilled paint on the carpet, and cut expensive hard wood flooring slats the wrong length – at the end of the job so that they can’t be use somewhere else on the floor. But I did save some money – NOT.

     
  • At Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:14:00 PM, Blogger Coffeypot

    Oh! And now, when I say that I am going to fix something, Sweet Tea starts taking valuables out of the house and stacking on the lawn. The neighbors yell over, Coffeypo's fixing something again? Then the crowd gathers outside with first aid kits and rescue equipment. The fire department has a truck setting at the corner with EMC help close by. They think they are real funny. But I simultaneous save money and increase the economy with my little projects. But I had rather be in Vegas.

     
  • At Monday, January 21, 2008 5:56:00 PM, Blogger Nicki

    Damn, darlin'. Sorry to hear that.

    Of course, you know, you can always come visit me and we can work out a little sumpin sumpin. Just don't check my fund availability.

     
  • At Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:32:00 AM, Blogger Christine

    Wait....when did you marry SCM? I can't tell you how many times a small leak turned into a entire house replumbing. This past weekend he was "gracious" enough to offer to fix the handle to the toilet that broke off. After visions of an entire new bathroom danced through my head, I called roto rotor. Safer that way.

     
  • At Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:15:00 PM, Blogger SkippyMom

    Aww, Norman sorry about that..but haven't you called your homeowners insurance? This is a covered mishap - even tho' hubby did it...Ask SKH about the time he allowed our 1 year to dump 1 gallon of sky blue paint on the brand new carpet in my home....oops! They paid and our rates didn't go up.
    I wouldn't have known if the carpet people hadn't have told me [and Thanksgiving was in three days...I was seriously considering a re enactment of the crossing of the pilgrims on the "blue water" hee!]
    Check with them - and make sure they don't raise your rates - it's not like you have claimed anything like this before, right? RIGHT? ;D

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com