Sunday, May 28, 2006
Cross your fingers! (yet another bunny update)

OK. So we had the bunny in our garage for a couple days, and I fed him kitten milk with a syringe. He didn't seem to be scared of me, or overly nervous that I was handling him. He still wasn't eating any greens that we were dropping in his tank, but I was happy because he was drinking kitten milk ... AND STILL ALIVE!

Last night - I gave him a 'Nilla Wafer, and when I woke up this morning, it was gone! (The vet recommended 'Nilla Wafers or animal crackers).

Today, we went to Wal Mart, and I bought a 'cage-mount' hamster water bottle, hooked it up to the fence outside and set Baby Bunny free. (Ethan named him George. I laughed! Remember the Bugs Bunny cartoon? "...and I will hold him, and squeeze him and call him George...") Last time I checked on him, he was hunched in the tall grass and scampered away from me. While I felt a little sad about this, it also made me happy. I want him to be a wild bunny, not dependant on us for food & water. Now - I might have cheated by giving him a water bottle, but it's not a bottle I have to fill everyday, and in the meantime, he still has to forage for food. At least he's staying in the area of the old nest so that I can check on him, and grab him if I need to. When I brought him inside, he could hardly walk from weakness. Now he's scampering!.

Now if he can just avoid getting squished in the road like his mommy ...
 
posted by Norman at 7:38 PM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com