Wednesday, May 31, 2006
I need a Tums. Actually - I need the whole bottle
I pretty much never blog about work on here, it seems to bore the pants off you guys. (Meaning - I have NO comments when I get home at the end of the day). So - ok. I get the message: "Norman your work posts suck ass. Quit it." But DAMN! I've had a baaaaaad week, and it only started on Tuesday and today is Wednesday. I've had those kind of days where your stomach hurts and you just want to crawl into a hole and hide from the gunfire. Really. It's been like that yesterday and today.

You don't have to read, but at least post me a "HI! HELLO!" post if nothing else. It'll make me feel better... really! Even the lurkers... ok?

Here - let me try to make a long story short (and some of you guys might remember this... I dunno). I've worked at my job for 8 years. For 6 of those years, I had the same boss, and the same co-workers. There were just four of us and we were a happy little family. Then, six years ago... one of my co-workers decided he wanted my bosses job, and told a bunch of lies and got him removed from office. At the same time, I was removed and placed in a 'holding pattern'. They were too scared to fire me, because I was pregnant and would probably start screaming discrimination or something. I wrote a couple of letters accusing them of overreacting and they reinstated me. Anyhoo, my former boss is still ON LEAVE WITH PAY. For two years. In the interim, they have hired a replacement for him, that is now my current boss. My former boss, has filed a lawsuit, which is still bubbling away. It's huge. I'm a 'witness' for the case. This makes me nervous, but I've been told I'm somewhat protected by the fact that I'm mentioned in it.

So yesterday, one of the BIG BOSSES out there, began to fix his crosshairs on me. It started back in April, with a presentation schedule I sent to him. Luckily - I archived the message I sent. I have no idea why I did this, but THANK GOD I did. But this little two line message I sent proved to save my fat ass yesterday. He sent my boss an e-mail stating that I was argumentative with his staff (WTF?!?!!??!), and that I never advised him of these presentations. My boss replied, and included the message that I archived, essentially calling him a liar. Which is a bad bad thing. All that's going to do is make him look like an idiot, and this guy is a control freak from the git-go. I told my boss that I think he wants to make me look inept so that they have an excuse to fire me, due to my involvement in the lawsuit (he's a defendent). She told me that she thinks I'm wrong, yet she's documenting all this stuff that's happening and bringing the files home. (yeah - I'm no fool, I've got my OWN documentation going on).

In the meantime, she e-mailed the entire conversation and all of the e-mails to the other BIG BOSSES out there, letting them know of the discord. I read the email, and it's quite liberally sprinkled with "Norman did this" "Norman did that" "Norman said this" blah blah blah... you get the point. And it's not saying I did anything wrong - but all it's done is pull me into the limelight AGAIN. I really think now that I probably have no chance of advancing within this particular company now that I've been tagged as a person whose name keeps popping up in the middle of drama. I've instigated NONE OF IT! I just wanna do my job. Really.

It hurts my stomach, and I am DREADING going to work tomorrow. I just know there's going to be a shitstorm over her last e-mail. I wonder if I'll look conspicuous if I show up in a raincoat?

Luckily, our Headquarters is 110% behind me. In fact, if I lived in their area, there is no question that they would hire me there. But sadly - I don't live on the east coast, and I don't think my husband will move there happily. So I'm stuck at an employer where I'm pretty sure one of the big dudes hates me. Sux to be me right now!
 
posted by Norman at 9:12 PM | Permalink |


18 Comments:


  • At Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I don't like the word lurker! I'm just quiet! I'm sorry for what you're going through. I went thru something similar in April and sadly, I chose to walk away from that job. I wish you luck!!

     
  • At Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:32:00 PM, Blogger pack of 2

    Damn Norm....I'm so sorry that you're going through all that crap at work right now.

    ((((NORM)))))

    Good luck tomorrow!

    Angie

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:08:00 AM, Blogger Dari

    I am sorry norm that you are going through this, I really wish you good luck, and by the way I just came back from two weeks break...It feels good to be back reading here. take care

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 2:46:00 AM, Blogger HotDudi

    Ok...1st of all, we don't hate your work related posts & 2nd of all...that's a b*tch!

    I've had really cr@p bosses the past 6 years & I've taken the easy option every time & left! Even when I really loved the job & people I worked with.

    I don't envy you, but I can empathise with your situation, & I'm definitely thinking of you :-/

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 4:47:00 AM, Blogger Norman

    Julie - Hi! Ok, I'll devise another word instead of lurker!! Thanks for the good wishes...

    Angie - Thanks... can I have your Jeep Wrangler to make me feel better?

    Dari - What the ....? I was wondering where you were!!! Isn't that like your second 2 week break this year?!! Lucky....

    Hotdudi - I wish I could walk away... but the problem is this: #1. I feel very strongly about my job, and it is unique to the company in this town. #2. I make HALF of our family's income, so I can't just walk away.

    Thanks guys!! The nice comments really do help...

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:12:00 AM, Blogger RVVagabond

    Ah Norm, that sucks big time. I hope you can ride out the storm and keep your job as it's tough to find a job you like that pays the same in this day and age. Office politics are the pits-find your quiet place and be vewwy, vewwy quiet while they are hunting wabbits.

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:43:00 AM, Blogger A couple of newer paintings 2019

    Norman, you were smart to keep emails. When I was working I kept every email and backed them up (separately fromt he work back up system). When I hear thinks like this it makes me glad I'm happily retired. There's nothing worse than work politics. (Well, I guess there is but I don't think the workplace is the place for politics.) It sure makes for hating to get up in the morning!

    By the way, I don't hate your work postings. Just sometimes don't have any comment.

    Sandra

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 6:28:00 AM, Blogger Kim

    Document, document, document....it will save your ass. Maybe the big dude that hates you is jealous??? If you do a really good job he might feel like his job is in jeopardy. I don't miss stuff like that staying home, but I am sure when I do find a job I'll run right back into it!

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 6:31:00 AM, Blogger Michael

    That sucks big time. I just heard that the courts ruled that whistle blowers are no longer covered by freedom of speech rights when it comes to divulging government practices too.

    Big brother covering their asses.

    I can send you tums if you like.


    Take Care
    Michael

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 6:44:00 AM, Blogger Wide Lawns

    That's terrible Norman. I am so sorry. I hate people, I swear to god. Its just like Dr. Poe. Why are people such jerks? And I like when people blog about work, for obvious reasons. If you ever want to move to Florida you can have my job. My co-worker is leaving.

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 11:54:00 AM, Blogger Nicki

    Whatever became of the hubby's quest for a new job a couple of towns over? Would that be feasible, therefore freeing you up at this job? I know you said you normally like your job, but life's too short for this kind of stress.

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:27:00 PM, Blogger Wide Lawns

    I forgot...forget the TUMS. I just started taking Nexium on Tuesday and that stuff is the best! I am all for the Little Purple Pill now. No stress related, caused by job, stomach pain at all now!

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 1:10:00 PM, Blogger Cacti to Cornfields

    work drama sucks! i'm sorry norm! the fact that's a legal matter makes it even worse. on the other hand... not that i'm a believer in "signs"... but maybe this is a "sign" that you should begin considering other ventures if you havn't yet?? and hey--- whatever happened with the potential job change with your hubby? ...or did a miss a post or two with info about that?? take care of YOURSELF!!!

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 3:02:00 PM, Blogger Mise en Place

    Sounds WAY complicated. But I say, stand your ground, stick to your guns and let them hit it...what ever it is.

    Just hang on!

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 3:31:00 PM, Blogger Nap Queen

    OMG, I am soooo sorry. Thank god for covering your ass. I keep almost every email that comes through from big bosses or ladder climbers I don't trust. It always seems to pay off :) Karma will win in the end.

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 4:34:00 PM, Blogger pack of 2

    Oh man that sucks. I hate when the job gets stressful like that.

    I have no advice but good luck...we want to hear what happens too please!

    Sounds like keeping records will be key.

    Shelly

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:25:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    Linda - Hey Chica!!! how's the knee doing? You mobile yet, or still having to lay down all the time?

    Sandra - yes, I've been keeping any and ALL e-mails. Not just saving them, but printing them out and taking them home even...

    Kim - it's absolutely NOT that he's jealous of me! He's like the "number 3" man in his office. I'm like.... a peon. But the only thing is I'm a high-profile peon. He probably makes triple what I make, and he works for a different employer. I think what it is, is that i'm a witness in a lawsuit that he's a defendant in. I think that's what it is!! (or he's just an asshole!!LOL)

    Michael - No shit? Where'd you read that? I need to see it!!!! Now I need TWO bottles of tums....

    Wide Lawns - hey!! meet up with me at Disney next week, you can give me an impromptu interview!!

    Angie - cool, so what time do you think you'll be here? I'll make sure the margaritas are frozen!

    FM - My husband's job offer kinda stagnated, because they didn't offer him enough $$ for him to move all of us out of the city. HOWEVER, we are still watching south texas for job openings!

    Wide Lawns - forget Nexium... i need VALIUM.. LOLOL

    No patience - I'M THERE!! FIND ME A JOB!

    Cacti - you didn't miss any posts. the job he was offered couldn't come up in price, so we decided against him taking it. we're still looking though. One problem we face, is that I don't have a college degree, yet I'm receiving college-degree pay from this company. It's hard to leave this kind of job. I actually love what i do, i just don't love this asswipe....

    Momyblogr - I think that's what i have to do right now... stand and be firm. What will happen will happen...but i'm documenting every single bit of it.

    nap queen - ooooo!!! Karma!! I forgot about Karma!! I need all the karma i can get!!

    Shelly - thanks chicky!! by the way - Angie said ya'll are coming down to kick this man-bitch's ass. What time will you be here? LOL

     
  • At Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:36:00 PM, Blogger Ace

    Strangely enough, I sort of feel your pain. Hang in there, and remember the first rule of office politics (it must be first, it's the only one I know):

    Cover.

    Your.

    Ass.

    Good luck.

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com