Wednesday, June 14, 2006
Mysteries of the 18 month old's diet
Anyone ever figured this out yet? How can a small child survive on 4 peas for 3 days? And chicken nuggets. If she eats one more chicken nugget, I swear the child will sprout feathers. I'm on a mission to get her to start eating the foods we eat. Right now, she typically eats anything that's on the rug. Like carpet fuzz, leaves, small stones - all things that get tracked in from outside. And if we let her outside, she eats grass, twigs, bugs. She also loves to eat small little trinkets from Ashton's room. I caught her with some square letter beads in her mouth the other day, I know she ate some of them because she pooped the alphabet yesterday.

She's a small little Hoover on two legs, but if I plop her into her high chair, she clamps her mouth shut. And if it's not peas or chicken nuggets on her tray.... forget it. She's not eating. Ethan asked if he could go get her some leaves from outside, because she wasn't eating. I was almost tempted.

Why do little ones eat everything BUT their dinner? She'll eat petrified dog poop, and cry when we take it from her. I've tried giving her hot dogs... she just picks them up and squishes them in her fingers. We gave her some hamburger meat, and she chewed it up and blew it all over the kitchen. Ham cubes? She tucks them under her bottom and pretends she's eaten her dinner. Fish sticks? She throws them on the floor.

Neither of my other kids were picky about their eating... how do I feed this child without doing the chicken nugget and pea thing?
 
posted by Norman at 6:35 PM | Permalink |


10 Comments:


  • At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:07:00 PM, Blogger Tammy

    "she pooped the alphabet yesterday". Holy crap (literally) that is hilarious!

    No. I've never figured those kids out.

     
  • At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:07:00 PM, Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography

    I was laughing hysterically as well when you said "she pooped the alphabet yesterday".

     
  • At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 10:22:00 PM, Blogger Dari

    I guess small kids always like to use their hands to vatch (anything) and stick it in their mouth. Why not try to put a plate and try the selfservice option; you might end up with the biggest mess you ever seen but I guess it woth the try

     
  • At Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:42:00 AM, Blogger Greg the Surly

    I have a niece that only eats fresh fruit. I'm sure you've tried that, so I'm not suggesting you do that, I'm just saying that some kids are picky like that. Its probably a girl thing.

     
  • At Thursday, June 15, 2006 7:23:00 AM, Blogger Wide Lawns

    This is funny. I loved the part with the leaves. Your son has a good sense of humor.

    OK, so heres what you do (from my extensive background as a kindergarten aid and nanny). Understand that no human being will starve itself, so ignore her. Every night when you have dinner, sit her down in her chair at the table with everyone else and give her the same food you all are eating (made baby-friendly of course) and then everybody just eat and ignore her. She will learn by watching everyone elses example and say "ok this is just what we all do." If you make a fuss over her not eating she's going to be like "Man this is cool. Im at the head of the table. Everyone is looking at me and entertaining me. I think I will continue to draw attention to myself with undesirable behavior so that I receive special treatment." I think she'll be fine. My sister was a picky pain in the ass growing up too and I would eat whatever my mom made.

     
  • At Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:49:00 AM, Blogger pack of 2

    maybe the answer to this problem was in the poop yesterday...did ya read it?
    No? Aww...too bad, I'll bet she gave you the answer & ya missed it:)

    Shelly

     
  • At Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:58:00 PM, Blogger Michael

    Hey norman.

    Did you change your email so that I couldn't stalk you anymore?

    I tried to send you something and it got kicked back. Email me if you want it.

    Take Care
    Michael

     
  • At Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:46:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    Tammy & TBG - she gave me everything but the "Q"!

    Dari - yeah, it DOES end up as a ginormous mess!!

    Greg - she scarfs blueberries like nobody's business, but then they go the way of the alphabet letters and it grosses me out!

    Wide Lawns - I didn't know you used to be a nanny! We've tried the ignoring route but that child WILL NOT BE IGNORED!!

    Shelly - lol... you're too funny! No! I didn't 'read' her diaper. I was too busy gagging!

    Michael - I didn't change my e-mail! It probably was too big of an attachment, and the free e-mail server bounced it back... try again?

     
  • At Thursday, June 15, 2006 7:16:00 PM, Blogger Ace

    Have you considered wrapping the real food in grape leaves or something, since she likes leaves?

     
  • At Saturday, July 15, 2006 12:26:00 AM, Blogger Moxie

    I have 2 cans of sweet peas I can send you. My friend left them here and I cannot freakin' stand peas.

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com