Monday, June 12, 2006
Disney!
Yay!

We got the pictures networked! I counted... we have 987. That's a lot of pictures. But STUPID BLOGGER WON'T LET ME PUT THEM INTO THIS POST!

All in all, we had a good time. Not a GREAT time, but a good time. The downers were:

My kids were grumping out, and sniping at each other
It was waaaaaaaaaay crowded (never ever EVER go in the summer... go in the fall - during school hours)
It was hot (we actually tolerated it a lot better than folks from up north)
We got food poisoning

But we still had a good time. First, we got there on Monday and checked into our room. Those rooms were TINY. Luckily - my parents went along with us, and so we got adjoining rooms. Thank God for that, since there was no way the kids would have been able to be in that one dinky little room that we got for all five of us. We just propped open the door between the rooms and decided that no one would have any privacy. We went straight to the Magic Kingdom, and got our first taste of the crowds out there. Wow. Big big crowds. It was terrible. The lines for all the rides had a wait of at least 70 minutes. So we only got to do about 3 rides that evening. But that's okay because they have lots of scenic stuff that the kids can climb on and play with.

Tuesday, we spent the whole day out at the Magic Kingdom. More crap with the crowds, but then the kids started in on each other, and basically being (dare I say it??) snotty brats. There was this really cool thing there. All the kids were playing with a trash can. I couldn't figure it out. What's so cool about a trash can? So I pushed the kids closer so I could get a look at what the big deal was, and then I noticed that it was talking! So I said "Ethan!! Look at that trashcan, it's talking and.... MOVING!" Yep. The minute I said that, the damn thing came rolling over and said "Ethan!! It's Ethan!" Then it headed over towards our group and said "Look! Look! It's Ashton & Ethan!" I was pretty amazed, since the only name I'd mentioned was Ethan's. How the hell it knew both of their names was beyond me. We thought it was pretty cool, until Ashton ran up and kicked the snot out of it. It said "It's getting rough over here, I'm leaving" and it left. So we never got a chance to figure out the trick to the whole thing. I did drag both of the kids off and gave them both a lecture about not kicking the exhibits at the park, and how they both better straighten up. So I'm sure it sucked to be them since I was so upset with their behavior.

But they're good kids, and they behaved after that. Must've been the heat & excitement. Anyway, Wednesday we decided to head to Epcot, and that was where we picked up our food poisoning. We went to the "Bier Garten" there and ate at the German buffet. My parents used to live in Germany and ordered German beers. My husband got one as well. I don't like heavy beers, but I did have some of my dad's, just so I could say I tried it. I don't think it was 2 hours after we ate that my husband got sick. It was terrible. There were crowds all over, and everyone was camping out waiting for the fireworks to start. He tried to get to a bathroom in time, but there was no way to get there, and no one was moving for him to get through. So he put his hand over his mouth and started to hurl, right there on the sidewalk at Epcot. THAT got people moving, and he was able to make it to the grass to puke. Then he ran to the bathrooms, and emptied out the other end. (bleh!!!!!!!!!!!!) We still felt fine, and just worried about my hubby. We took the bus back to the resort, and he almost threw up all over everyone on the bus. The bad stuff didn't hit the rest of us until midnight or so, but then all of the adults got sick. All...night....long.

We think it was the beer. Because the kids didn't get sick and they ate the same stuff we did. But they didn't have beer. We had a lot of fun trying to tell the Concierge that we drank beer and got sick. They weren't very sympathetic. I'm sure they were thinking 'hangover', but really. It wasn't!! They ended up making our tickets for the missed day "un-expirable". So we'll be able to use them the next time we go there. Even if it's 50 years later. So that's cool. We'll be going back (just not to the Bier Garten)

Thursday, we stayed in bed all day, and the kids played at the pool. After that though, things went much smoother, other than it being hot, and humid. We weren't really sweaty though, like a lot of people. Some of them even commented on how we seemed to be unaffected by the heat. I told them that we're from Texas. "Oh - so you're used to the heat, but it's a dry heat isn't it?" Well - yeah it's a dry heat, but so is the heat in your oven and I don't see you holding a picnic in there...... God I hate it when people try to discount the heat factor!! Hot is hot!!

And I will also say, when you get crowds, and heat, you get a lot of people in grumpy moods. Including myself. I got into a argument with some bitch that tried to cut in front of us at "It's a Small World". Damn! That's the coldest ride at the park... no way I was letting someone get in front of us! But they did, and then when I pushed my way back in front of her, she lipped off to me, which was HER mistake. Apparently, she thought I would back down. But I didn't, and her husband ended up pulling her away from me, and apologizing. Thankfully, my children did not witness that exchange, which I'm not the proudest of, but it happened.

All in all, we had a good time, and as soon as blogger stops being a turd, I'll try to upload the pictures (just a few of them!)

~Norm
 
posted by Norman at 9:22 PM | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:26:00 AM, Blogger Michael

    Get a flickr account for free and upload them there!

    Can't wait to see them.

    Take Care
    Michael

     
  • At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:16:00 AM, Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography

    Oh sorry you got sick in D-world that really sucks. Other than that the trip sounded fabulous!

     
  • At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:31:00 PM, Blogger Nap Queen

    So sorry about the food poisoning! You're cracking me up with the "yeah it's a dry heat, but so is the heat in your oven and I don't see you holding a picnic in there". Nice one! I'll definitely use it.

     
  • At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:30:00 PM, Blogger A couple of newer paintings 2019

    Yuk, Norman, food poisoning! That must have been fun, 4 adults all puking (I'm assuming not only puking) and 2 bathrooms. Something doesn't add up. Did you manage to take turns?

    Just what everyone wants to do on vacation!

    Sandra

     
  • At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:44:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    Michael - I don't know about Flickr... that's just one more password for me to remember

    tbg - it was totally faboo!

    nappy - lol.. my cousin said that to me once. I guess it stuck!

    Sandra - ummm... without going into too many details, let me just say THANK GOD FOR PLASTIC LINED TRASH CANS

     
  • At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 7:07:00 PM, Blogger Nicki

    I went to Macaroni Grill with a couple friends and all three of us got sick, to varying degrees. None of us have ever eaten there again. I don't care HOW many OTHER people do.

    Sorry that put a damper on the vacay.

     
  • At Wednesday, August 23, 2006 5:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi! I have spent all day going through the archives reading your blog start to [almost] finish..and I love it! You are so funny and your family is a hoot...We too have kids...they are 16, 15, 14, 13 and 8, so I can sympathize with your travails over Christmas and Vacation - but C'MON - the Christmas post was bad enough "My Christmas is ruined b/c I didn't get what I want" WTF? I would have yanked every last present away from those two, marched them down to salvation army and been done....but this post at Disneyland? Kicking the garbage can? and you post (again) well they are really good kids. Um, NO, no they aren't....tsk, tsk after kicking the exhibit is nothing.

    I don't like other people telling me how to raise my kids, but I honestly don't like everytime one of them does something heinous, you simply write "Well, they ARE really good kids." How do you figure?....remember...YOU put them out here. Oh, and you like to say they aren't spoiled...are you K I D D I N G?

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com