Friday, June 16, 2006
What flavor would you like?
I was in the drive-thru of a fast-food restaurant the other day, starting to get mildly irritated at the little chicky that was taking my order. Oh sure - she was perky enough, but she was rushing me. And it's not like I was taking my own sweet time even. She was just obviously rushing everyone trying to get to the end of her shift. Wait, here's an excerpt of my order:

Me: Hey. I need two children's meals, with diet coke and....
Her: Okay. I got two kid's meals. Would you like anything else?
Me: Yes. I need one Combo #3 with Dr. Pepper and could you....
Her: That's two kid's meals and one Combo #3 with Dr. Pepper. Would you like anything else?
Me: I also need a pint of red beans and rice.
Her: What drinks did you want with the kids meals?
Me: diet coke. I already said that.
Her: That'll be $16.78. Please drive through ...


***
Bitch. I hate it when people cut me off when I'm speaking. And I was CLEARLY continuing on with the order signified by the "AND" after my first sentence. But oh well. I started thinking back to my first job which was in the food business. Baskin Robbins. I actually worked there for 3 years. That's a long-ass time to be scooping ice cream. (Daquiri Ice was the worst ice cream to scoop...) But it gave me spending money thru high-school.

I also remembered how irritating people could be, and how sometimes I would let one single instance of discord ruin my whole work shift.


We used to become astronomically busy in the summer. I lived in San Antonio, TX and it got HOT down there. We would sometimes have a line out the door of people waiting to order one of the 31-derful flavors that Baskin Robbins dished out. One thing that would always chap my ass was when I would ask the person next in line what flavor of ice cream they would want. They would stop whatever they were doing, and start perusing the cases of flavors. You gotta understand that they've been lined up next to these very same cases for the last 5 minutes while we helped the person in front of them. It was like a surprise to them that they actually had to choose the flavor that they wanted. Meanwhile, there's a line out the door in 110 degree heat of people grumpily waiting to be served. Of course, they would be oblivious of the line as they wandered back and forth, occasionally asking for a little pink spoon sample of the Butter Pecan or Almond Amaretto. Then finally, they would make their choice: "I'll have a scoop of french vanilla. "

fffffuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccckk... "Would you like that in a cup or a cone?" I would ask, while gleefully entertaining thoughts of shoving a sugar cone up their ass. Of course, this would prompt another deep and thoughtful pause as they contemplated their choice... "What kind of cone?" oh for the love of.... "We've got cake cones, sugar cones, and waffle cones..." I would explain, while eyeballing the grumbling, shifting line... "I think.... sugar" "THANKSTHAT'LLBE$1.80HERE'SYOURCHANGE!"

Finally!! Onto the next customer.. "May I help you?"... "hmmm... let's see.. what do I want...?" ARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eventually, the line would go away, but not before I was pissed off and annoyed by everyone. Even though my shift was only 4 hours long, I would be ready to go home after 2 hours. Those last 2 hours were endless.

So I got to thinking...maybe the little chica that was rushing me at the drive-thru...maybe she was just ready to go home after having annoying customers. Or maybe she was just a bitch...
 
posted by Norman at 8:16 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At Friday, June 16, 2006 9:21:00 PM, Blogger Kim

    I worked at Baskin Robbins too!!!!! For such little money it isn't even funny. I hated that job. The boss was a BITCH. We were in CO so it wasn't that hot but people would come in 2 minutes before you close........seriously we have been open for like 10 hours you choose now to rush out and get some ice cream. We were next to a liquor store and occupied the corner place in this strip mall and this little old lady would come 3 or 4 times a day and park on the opposite side of the liquor store and walk over to it and then walk out with her little brown bag........we could never imagine how she could actually make it back to the liquor store those last couple of times a day....fun times.

     
  • At Friday, June 16, 2006 9:49:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    Shelly - My friend worked at Mickey D's. She still refuses to eat there now to this day...

    Kim - HA! So you know EXACTLY what I'm talkin' about!! HUH?!

    Stormieweather - you got that right!

     
  • At Friday, June 16, 2006 11:23:00 PM, Blogger Spicy Cracker

    I worked at Dairy Queen for 4 years through highschool and the first semester of college... man o man...DQ in Florida in the summer I thought I was dying.

    I feel ya... I really do, I was so happy when I got cake making duty I could stand in the freezer for half my shift...

     
  • At Saturday, June 17, 2006 8:31:00 AM, Blogger Nicki

    When I tended bar, I'd hear two women discuss what they were going to order while I was working on other orders. They'd say, "I'm going to have a such and such." But when I came over and asked what they wanted, they'd say, "Oh, I don't know. Maybe I'll have..."

    It took all I had not to say, "YOU HAD YOUR MIND MADE UP THIRTY SECONDS AGO, BITCH!!"

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com