Friday, May 18, 2007
Well, I found out what was next....
Remember last post I lamented: "What's Next?!"

I found out. I'm sick.

I HATE being sick. Especially on a Friday. Especially when you only have one month left at your job. Because then everybody assumes that you're playing the "Burn the Sick Leave!" card and laughs when you mention that you want to go home.

Asses.

So anyway, my mother kept two of my children for me tonight since they are mostly healthy. Also - with Ethan still freshly recovered from his tonsillectomy, we don't want to chance getting him sick with this crud. He lost 3 pounds while he was recovering, and the kid didn't really have 3 pounds to lose. Now he looks like a stick figure.

Since Ashy is feeling sick as well, her & I just camped out and played on the computer together. Lately - her favorite thing to do is watch videos on MTV.com. When she does this, I stay in the room to make sure that she doesn't click on videos called: "Marilyn Manson's Fun House" or some nonsense like that.... 'cause she'll do it and that's one form of education I don't want her to receive.

So anyway, just fooling around, I started showing her videos from when I was a kid. Now let's see.... MTV started up in 1981....so that means ----- ah yes ! The Buggles!! "Video Killed the Radio Star"!!! I tried to explain to her that this song was the Very!First!Song! EvAR! played by MTV, when MTV played videos. She listened patiently for about ...10 seconds. "I don't like it. It's weird. Why did you like it?"

WHAT!!??? How can you not LIKE that song!!?? (I'm kinda bitchy when I'm sick...not as gracious, you know?)

So she thought it was weird. We argued back and forth about what was cool or not, and then I decided to show her something decidedly "Uncool"..... Devo.

She loved it. Thought they looked like fire hydrants.

Flopping back to the "Cool" videos, I pulled out some Duran Duran being Hungry like a Wolf. "Look Ashy!! That's Simon!! Isn't he a hottie?!"

"No. Why? Did you think he was cute? Ewwww!"

dammit

So then I wanted to show her more of the things I liked but sadly - I could NOT find the "Fish Heads" video (anybody out there?? anybody remember "Fish heads fish heads roly poly fish heads fish heads fish heads eat them up YUM!" )

However -- I was able to find:

The Michael Jackson "Thriller" video in its entirety.

At first, Ashton didn't believe that the man singing was Michael Jackson. She did not RECOGNIZE him. She told me that the guy singing looked "Normal"...as opposed to the freakazoid he is now (her word). So I finally convinced her, and she settled back to watch the video.

She loved it. Absolutely LOVED it!

So then I told her how it was a huge deal when it came out. It was a WORLD PREMIERE VIDEO and everybody stopped what they were doing when it first aired way back when. I told her that even her GRANDMOTHER was watching TV at 7:00pm with us when it came on. And the next day at school - everyone was singing "THRILLER!! THRILLER NIGHT!!!"

She thinks I'm such a geek.
 
posted by Norman at 8:37 PM | Permalink |


8 Comments:


  • At Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:34:00 AM, Blogger Michael

    hopefully you feel better soon.

    Take Care
    Michael

     
  • At Saturday, May 19, 2007 6:57:00 AM, Blogger Gail S

    Heh, the first time my daughter saw an old video of Michael Jackson, she also argued with me. "Thats not Michael Jackson! That boy's black! Michael Jackson isn't black!" I guess she could accept plastic surgery, but not a whole change of race!

    Feel better soon.

     
  • At Saturday, May 19, 2007 7:34:00 AM, Blogger Lisa

    Well, you are a geek, so I guess she's pretty observant. LOL

    WJ and I have been video/music surfing a lot in the past few months. Stuff will come on and I'll say, "Wow! I used to listen to that when I was (insert age here)." He always just looks at me with this are you kidding me look and says, "Really?" It's kinda fun that right now he's liking all my music. Even makes me burn CDs for him to take to his room with his favorites.

    Feel better, Norm!

     
  • At Saturday, May 19, 2007 12:40:00 PM, Blogger Leonesse

    My son just discovered the joys of Thriller last week. We ended up having an impromptu Thriller dance in the kitchen. Those times don't come around much since he's 16. sigh...

    Who'd have thought that Michael Jackson would bring me a moment of joy with my child?

     
  • At Saturday, May 19, 2007 1:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    First of all, I LOVE your blog.
    HAHA! She didn't recognize Michael...that's priceless.
    Feel better soon. :)

     
  • At Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:04:00 PM, Blogger pack of 2

    LOL...I remember all that MTV stuff too. I was living in Houston & watched MTV go live with that song...I loved it. I no longer love MTV.

    Some people say that makes me old...I don't think it's that...I think it's Mar. Manson's fault:)

    If you really want to freak your kids out, show them Michael when he was a kid on the Jackson 5!

     
  • At Saturday, May 19, 2007 8:01:00 PM, Blogger Me

    Although I have the Fishheads MP3 on my computer... I don't have the video. I did see it though (online) somewhere (?) about 6 months ago. I showed it to my kids. They were not impressed. :)

     
  • At Monday, May 21, 2007 10:44:00 AM, Blogger Ann

    We didn't have cable. My parents pretty much let us just watch PBS and the Muppet Show.
    But my friend Bridget had cable. I would go over to her house and we would watch the video. I loved it. And I loved M. Jackson--I wanted to marry him. Ewwww!
    Anyway, I heard the song recently again after having not heard it in a long time and it just wasn't as good as I remember it. I have that album on vinyl--birthday present from my mom's best friend. I think I got it in 4th grade and I played it on my Popeye the Sailorman record player.

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com