Thursday, November 08, 2007
We interrupt this blog for a birthday announcement....

IT'S THE ETHANATOR'S BIRTHDAY!!!
Now, if you're pregnant...stop reading. This is in no way going to be a thing you'll want to know about while you're pregnant.
It's hard for me to believe that the guy who gave me the nickname of "Norman" is now 6 big years old. In fact, it's easier for me to remember the day he was born. So to me, it's like yesterday that I finally got to meet him for the first time.
Oh sure, he'd been kicking around my kidney's for a while, but I didn't really set eyes on him until 6 years ago. And he sure as hell made his entrance something memorable.
Don't get me wrong, he wasn't on death's door and we weren't rushed to the hospital in some sort of drama that Lifetime likes to make mushy little made-for-tv movies about. It was just that he got....stuck.
Have you have been giving birth and your kid gets STUCK before? I had no freaking clue such a thing could happen. So there we were, deep in the throes of the miracle of birth when you could almost HEAR the doors of childbirth slam shut.
"PPPPPUSSSSSHHHH!!!!" yelled my husband gleefully. "PUUUUUSSSHHHHHH ooooooowwwwwSSSSSSSHHHHHHIIIIIITTTT!!!!" (that last part is me grabbing him by the soft skin underneath his chin. Did you know grabbing people there hurts a lot? It also made him stop being so damn happy about the fact that I was in labor)
"Um. You might want to stop coaching your wife to push right about now," mentioned the nurse "it appears your child is stuck."
"What the hell?!" STUCK? I would have offered to leap out of the bed and do a few jumping jacks to help dislodge him, but the epidural was hooked up and that was a bit of loveliness I did not want to part with. "Errrr.... yes. He appears to have his shoulders stuck. We might have to help him out with your next contraction..."
Silly me. I didn't know what this meant. See -- what they meant to say was this: "When you have your next contraction, this nurse here who looks like a linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys is going to stand on the rail of your hospital bed and wham the shit out of your hip to try to push your pelvis apart. Meanwhile, I'm going to pull on your baby's head and brace my foot on the end of the bed to gain more traction."
Or something like that. I know my husband was standing against the wall with a shocked look on his face watching the scene as he held an icepack to the underside of his chin. I even think someone from the hospital staff was taking pictures from the hallway. I bet if you look hard enough that damn picture is posted on someone's blog.
All I know is after the first round of that method, I have never pushed so hard in my life because I certainly didn't want the next contraction to begin and find out what kind of midwife fuckery they were going to pull next.
And that - in a nutshell - is how I met my son and he's been entertaining the family ever since.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ETHAN!!!
 
posted by Norman at 2:55 PM | Permalink |


11 Comments:


  • At Thursday, November 08, 2007 6:28:00 PM, Blogger Coffeypot

    Happy Birthday, Ethan! You da man!
    Now stop reading. No! Stop, NOW! Mamma? Is he stopped, yet? Okay!

    Now, Norman, I know exactly how you felt. I have had, on more than one occasion, a turd get stuck. It took two packs of ExLax gum, a tube of KY Jelly and a crowbar to get them out.

    I even named them: Nutterbutt and John Holmes.

    But I'm much better now.

     
  • At Thursday, November 08, 2007 7:25:00 PM, Blogger Lisa

    OMG I don't know which is funnier!! Ethan's birth story or Coffeypot's poop story. This has been a night of hilarity in blogland.

    Oh, and before I forget...

    Happy 6th Birthday Ethan!!! You make your mama proud now, ya hear!

     
  • At Friday, November 09, 2007 1:50:00 AM, Blogger Pumpkin

    Happy Birthday to the wee man!!!!!

    I offer you a virtual milkshake (orsomething cooler) and to Norman I offer a big-assed cocktail of your choosing.....because after the birth-story I felt the need for one myself...lol...brilliant post as usual hun!!!

    ps Not being aware if you've visited my wee blog or not, just wanted to make a point of saying 'hi from Scotland...even though we're not there at the moment' as a tribute to your de-lurker day yesterday!

    Oh and HAPPY FRIDAY!

    xxx

     
  • At Friday, November 09, 2007 4:33:00 AM, Blogger RVVagabond

    Playing catch up where I can--Happy Belated Birthday, Ethan!

    And after all that you had a second child? WTG, Norman!

     
  • At Friday, November 09, 2007 7:14:00 AM, Blogger Moi

    Sweet baby jeebus, Norman. You are my hero.

    Happy belated bday Ethanator! And happy BIRTHday to you too, Norman.

     
  • At Friday, November 09, 2007 10:21:00 AM, Blogger Ann

    Great story.
    Good thing I am planning on not having kids.
    My poor mom was in labor with me for 36 hours. I was coming out face first. They actually knocked her out before I was born. So she wasn't even awake when I finally came into the world.

     
  • At Friday, November 09, 2007 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Marni

    Happy birthday, Ethan!!!!

     
  • At Friday, November 09, 2007 1:25:00 PM, Blogger SkippyMom

    Happy Birthday Ethan!

    Norman - I could hug you for telling all pregnant women to stop reading before you related that story...you are my hero [I hate when women regale pregnant women with horror labor stories...my sister is one...yeech!]

    That said - You are my hero and for having ANOTHER? Wow - I would've been looney waiting on her birth.

    Once again, only you could make someone so painful, so, so funny!

    Thanks for sharing!

     
  • At Friday, November 09, 2007 4:07:00 PM, Blogger Miniowa

    Hi Norman.

    I'm de-lurking a little late. I've been slinking around your edges for ages. (That sounds...funny) Anyway,
    it's good to finally say hello.

    Michelle from Iowa

    !!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ETHAN !!!

     
  • At Friday, November 09, 2007 10:16:00 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Happy Bday Ethan!!!

    Does he still call you Norman?

     
  • At Monday, November 12, 2007 3:02:00 AM, Blogger HotDudi

    Happy belated birthday to Ethan :-)

    You have just confirmed to me that I never EVER want to have kids!

    Thanks for the tip off! ;-)

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com