Thursday, February 09, 2006
Strange/Weird Stories Part DEUX
OK!! By now most of you have dedeuced that I was quite peeved yesterday. I was. I still am. But oh well, such is my life. I don't feel like griping about it anymore (because #1 - I'm being monitored - eh?? LOL and #2 - I'd probably delete it again because I would just let it all hang out and decide I need to reel it back in) But enough about yesterday! I had so much fun sharing my strange/weird story about the nursing home, I thought I'd flop another one to you. By the way - nursing homes are GREAT places to work if you like dealing with elderly people, which I do. But I think most nursing homes are haunted, or at least the one I worked at was... don't believe me? Read on:

After working at the nursing home in the business office for about a year, the administrators decided to make a physical therapy room out of our office (we were also a skilled nursing facility, or SNF - that's "sniff" in hospital lingo) Seeing how the patient census was low - they decided to transform one of the patient wings into the business offices. I was really excited about this, because the offices would be located in the old patient rooms. I would have my own office WITH a private bathroom! Woohoo!!

All was well until I was working late one night. I was the only one down in the unit and I was trying to hurry and get out of there, when I heard it.... *BONG.....BONG.....BONG....BONG* What the hell?? So I got up and went out to the old nurses station. *BONG BONG BONG* I couldn't figure it out. It wasn't really loud, but it was persistant. Then I knew; It was a patient call. You know - you're in the hospital and push a button for the nurse?? It was that! But who pushed the button??!! I wandered into the room that was being used as storage and looked in. The nurse response button on the wall was lit up so I jabbed it and canceled the signal. "Must be a short" I thought and hurried back to my office to finish up. *BONG BONG BONG* Dammit!! It started up again! I ran across the unit, canceled the signal again and left for the night. First thing next morning, I grabbed one of the maintenance guys and asked him to fix the signal. He came in around closing time and started working on it. I was working late again and looked up when he came into my office.
"You say the call signal was lit up?" he asked. "Yeah-" I said, "it was lit and ringing." "Impossible. The system is disconnected."
"What do you mean?"
"Just what I said... it's disconnected, there's no power source." and right on cue - the call signal sounded. I was soooooo relieved. A witness!!! The maintenance guy however, was anything but relieved. His eyes were huge. "What the ffffff" he mumbled and started back to the room. I jokingly called to the guy that it was probably the ghost of a deceased patient. "Shut up!" he yelled and poked his head in the room. Came back out and looked at the light. Still lit. He checked the system again to confirm it was disabled, then called the other maintenance guy on his radio. "Hey! Gerry!" he yelled "Yeah?!" answered Gerry "Hey - didn't we disable the call system in the business unit?" "Yeah," answered Gerry "We had to cannibalize it to fix the other system until a replacement arrives" "Yeah?, " challenged the other "Well it's signaling" "Can't be" "It is". "You fuckin with me?" "No - God's truth - come here"

I'm listening to this whole exchange and thinking I would be silly - I went to the patient room that was signaling and stood in the middle of it. I said: "OK! I'm here, what can I get for you Mr. Ghost Patient!?" and just like that, the signal stopped.

Flash forward to this scene... me and the maintenance guy barreling out of the unit and over to the 'populated' part of the home.

And I never worked alone again.
 
posted by Norman at 7:08 PM | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At Thursday, February 09, 2006 11:35:00 PM, Blogger pack of 2

    We think that YOU attract ghosts.
    Ya know like that kid on that movie Sixth Sense.

    COOL!!

    Shangie

     
  • At Friday, February 10, 2006 4:47:00 AM, Blogger Norman

    NOPE!!!! It wasn't me, because after we'd made it back to the other side of the home, the nurses over there started telling us how that unit IS haunted and was telling us some of the stories...

    skeeery stuff.

    norman

     
  • At Friday, February 10, 2006 6:11:00 AM, Blogger RVVagabond

    Yep, you are definitely a ghost magnet.

     
  • At Friday, February 10, 2006 8:44:00 AM, Blogger Tammy

    You must be some sort of clarvoyant (sp) or have the capabilities and the ghosts know it and are trying to get you to recognize it.

    That is too many weird ghost things to happen to one person.

     
  • At Friday, February 10, 2006 10:44:00 AM, Blogger pack of 2

    See! I told ya. All these people think so too. Norm, you will have to accept it...you ARE A ghost magnet:)

    (not that there is anything wrong with that)

    Shelly

     
  • At Friday, February 10, 2006 1:08:00 PM, Blogger Kim

    You have some freaky shit happen to you. I think the ghost in your house might be related to your nursing home days.

     
  • At Friday, February 10, 2006 1:45:00 PM, Blogger Nap Queen

    OMG, CHILLS every time, Norman, every time. What an awesome story. I have a good one for you, but I'll send you an email...

     
  • At Friday, February 10, 2006 2:09:00 PM, Blogger Nap Queen

    Here's my story of the day. A friend of my father's is from Aruba and his mom (they called her Madu) was considered a "seer" there. Madu saw dead people. Her grandchildren (who are my friends) grew up knowing that their grandma saw dead people and that's just the way it was. My friend (the seer's grandchild) is now married with one 2-year-old daughter and she works from home. The other day, she could hear her daughter having a one-sided conversation. She peeked around the corner and her daughter was talking and looking up as if she was talking to someone much taller than she. When my friend asked her daughter who she was talking to she said, "I'm talking to GiGi!" GiGi is my friend's OTHER grandma who had been dead for years. The child has never met nor knows anything about GiGi. They think Madu passed a bit of her skills on to her great-granddaughter :)

     
  • At Friday, February 10, 2006 8:38:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    Linda - Ghost magnet?? LOL!

    Tammy - hmm. interesting. Don't know if I've told you this before (I think I have) but my grandmother had the ability to "know" things. My kids all talk about the "angry man" and it IS strange that I do feel things. Maybe it's a hereditary thing

    Pack of 2 - but I don't WANNA be the ghost magnet!!

    Kim - I'm starting to believe what everyone else is saying - that I'm a ghost magnet. I can just see some ghostly neon sign over my head announcing "The Light is HERE! ALL WELCOME!" sheesh. Maddening!

    Nap Queen - That IS freaky! I've caught my son 'talking' to thin air. He claims it's God. Or the Angry Man, depends on his mood. My daughter Ashton mentioned my brother once, when she was TWO. it was very odd.

    ALL - I do want you guys to know that I absolutely am not making up the ghost stuff. It really does freak me out - and it probably explains my personality - you know, odd, bizarre, freakish - take your pick!

    norman

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com