Wednesday, December 20, 2006
oh my aching head
I broke the news to my boss that I just might be possibly moving to San Antonio. I told her that I would let her know well in advance of my moving plans. She was bummed, but nice about it. She also tried to point out all the cons of me moving to a large town.

I must say... she raised some valid points:

- Moving my children to a big town would expose them to rougher elements
- This is a great community
- I would not be able to make what I'm making here (pay wise) down there (which -- is essentially a true statement)
- Traffic is terrible down there
-Crime is bad down there

on and on and on. Actually a convincing argument.

But the thing is, my husband really is enjoying what he is doing down there. So while I wouldn't MIND still living here, the fact remains that he's quit his job here, and already moved down there. I've already got a semi-offer on our house. We're all set to get going on moving plans...

And then...

My boss told the BIG GUY today, that she was more than likely going to lose me, since it appears that we're moving. So the BIG GUY asked my boss why my husband moved. She told him because he'd gotten a great-paying job down south. So he directed my boss to get hold of the computer people at my work and have them interview my husband. (HOLY CRAP!!!!)

wait...


!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and again:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is kinda huge. My boss informed me that the typical practice for hiring people involves topping their current salary. I told her what he currently makes now, and she indicated that it wouldn't be an obstacle.

So now I'm confused. We could stay here, not have to move, and make a large amount of money. Or we could move to a larger town and make not so much money... On the surface, it looks like a clear cut decision. But when you get down to the murkier waters... my husband LOVES what he is doing now.... And he's employed by my brother-in-law. My sister & brother in law hired him, not only because he was qualified for the job, but because they're hoping my parents will move with us (which they will), and my kids will grow up with her kids.

So if he stays where he is, we're moving and making less, but keeping the family happy (my parents want to move)
If he takes the job here at home, we are making great money, but disappointing family..

my head hurts.

**Note, since this is a boring post - it will probably be deleted after awhile and replaced with a humerous cartoon.
 
posted by Norman at 7:12 PM | Permalink |


10 Comments:


  • At Thursday, December 21, 2006 6:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    wow! Talk about how awesome of an employee are you that they'd be willing to hire your husband to keep you! (not that he's bad or anything but jeez! I'd be lucky if they got me a $20 gift card!) You know...I've said it once before...but money isn't everything. You might be making more, but you'd be losing more (family) if you didn't move...that and the fact that I love San Antonio (even though I'm from Houston) makes me biased. I'm going there next weekend, I'll scope it out for you....ah who am I kidding, I'm just doing the cheesy riverwalk because I pretend it's venice and get all romantical...... ;) Good luck on your decision making, have you asked hubs? he might not be interested at all you know.....or he might be and help make the decision even clearer...

     
  • At Thursday, December 21, 2006 6:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Wow.

    I think it's awesome how your employer loves you so much that they are doing that for you.

    I would so hate to be in your shoes having to make that decision.

     
  • At Thursday, December 21, 2006 12:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Wow! What a dilema!

    Here's another point to think about. What would it be like to have both of you working for the same company. I'm a firm believer in 'don't put all your eggs in one basket'. I don't know what company you work for but what if it closed, you'd both be out of work. That happened a lot in Ottawa where I'm from when Nortel laid off so many people.

    Just something else to make your head ache.

    It does make you feel really good though to have your boss think so highly of you.

     
  • At Thursday, December 21, 2006 1:12:00 PM, Blogger Aric Blue

    Jeez, complicated decision. Since I'm lazy, I'd stay in the same place--that's just me. Of course, like I've said before, I'd like to move to Austin. So I dunno what to tell you. Yer on your own!

     
  • At Thursday, December 21, 2006 3:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Wow, that is a tough one! When you consider the money side, remember to factor in the costs associated with re-settling... real estate commission if you sell your house, moving costs, etc. I don't know how it all works where you are, but here in Australia, selling property and buying property also incurs a state tax!

    But in the end, trust your gut instinct! It's usually right!

     
  • At Thursday, December 21, 2006 7:42:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    Vety - I know I know.. money isn't everything!!! I love SA. It's where I grew up. I spent many a night carousing on the Riverwalk!!! And btw, yes - you are right it IS very flattering that they are extending that offer. There are well over 3,000 employees there, and that offer came direct from the big cheez. I'm flattered.

    Tammy - To tell you the truth, I was shocked that the offer was even extended. Like I told Vety, there are a LOT of employees there, so this was actually a huge compliment.

    Sandra - Well, my hubs & I used to work together, and there was never any issue then. My current employer is actually more like a small town unto itself. So we could work for the same employer, and never see each other. Also - there is absolutely no chance that this place would close. It's a "necessary" establishment.

    Ameratis - Well - thanks for the wishes that things turn out for the best!! I appreciate well wishes like that!

    Aric - complicated to say the least!! I, too would love to be lazy and stay, but my parents are getting pumped about moving to SA again as well. I'm kinda screwed.

    Karen in Oz - Heya!!! You're in Australia? Isn't it summertime there?? That's so cool!! Anyway - yeah, If I sold my house thru a realtor, I would have to pay 6% commission. BUT - I just showed this house on my own, and so far, people like the idea of not having a realtor involved!!! It cuts down on the price. But as far as taxes, those are inevitable. I'm leaning more towards San Antonio because my husband seems so happy doing what he's doing there... but it's still a tough decision.

    Thanks for all the advice guys!!

     
  • At Friday, December 22, 2006 5:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Wow, talk about a fabulous Christmas gift, but it's certainly a two-edge sword. Hubs loves his job, your parents want to move, San Antonio is a neat city vs. more money and living in a haunted house (yes, let us not forget the haunted house). Hmm. Seriously, how could you not be flattered by the fact that the powers that be want you to remain so badly that they offer a job to your husband? I don't envy you and your husband the decision at all. Whatever you decide, be at peace with it.

     
  • At Friday, December 22, 2006 6:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    that was a good post, don't delete.

    it's amazing how people think that money makes the world go round and makes everyone so happy. NOT!

    I think your last statement about your husband loving his job is the most important. You can't find a loveable job everywhere and it might come along once in a lifetime.

     
  • At Friday, December 22, 2006 9:30:00 AM, Blogger Northwoods Woman

    So, 2 families have to move to be near 1 family?
    In an area that is not as good for raising kids?
    Money isn't everything, but hell, if you can make good money in the best place to raise your kids, it sounds like a no brainer to me!
    I'll pray for you.

     
  • At Friday, December 22, 2006 4:52:00 PM, Blogger Nicki

    Ah, screw it. Just leave the kids, the hubby, and come live with me, babe. You know you want to.

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com