Friday, June 15, 2007
Blue Sadness
Well. That's it then. I have worked my last day at what was in all probability the coolest job I will have ever had.

I'm terribly sad.

I made it through the day without crying - which is by no means a small accomplishment. I was given a small party in my office, and people wandered in and out of my office for 2 hours. My boss gave me an awesome statue of an American Eagle with it's talons outstretched, engraved with my name, a thank-you for my contributions and my hire date and termination date on the mahogany base. Then they took me out to lunch (which, since town is 40 miles away, is a big deal). I never cried.

The crying started the minute the door to my building clumped shut behind me. The girl that is my replacement was walking with me and I just melted. The one phrase I could say was "I didn't want to leave" and the bawling began. I don't think she knew what to do with me. I'm normally a bright happy cheery person.

Tears are terrible to see on a bright happy cheery person. It seems to put people at a loss. So rather than make her uncomfortable, I made the walk to my car in record time.

I managed to regain control of myself before I got to our access control building, and walked in. I finalized my employment papers, left a forwarding address for my final paycheck with our benefits department, and surrendered my badge.

And THAT my friends - was the hardest thing in the world. For those of you "in the know" about me, that badge was my life. It was hard to achieve that badge, a booger to maintain that badge, and shattering to discard it.

I can no longer go to my ex-workplace. I can't just pop in to say "Hi" to friends. I'll have to rely on luck and chances if I ever want to see those people that I just spent the last 8 years with ever again.

Good bye Pantex. I really was proud to be there.
 
posted by Norman at 8:01 PM | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:59:00 AM, Blogger RVVagabond

    Obviously the company was really proud to have you, too.

    Now on to conquer the VBC in San Antonio!

     
  • At Saturday, June 16, 2007 8:26:00 AM, Blogger Lisa

    I feel your pain Norman. Chin up girl!! You're on to making a name for yourself with a whole new group.

     
  • At Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:13:00 PM, Blogger A couple of newer paintings 2019

    I so know how you feel. That's how I felt when I left Nortel.

     
  • At Saturday, June 16, 2007 5:38:00 PM, Blogger Nancy

    When I left a school district, to get married to 'Pup, I left what was pretty much my dream job. Still, life is change. You'll find other joys....and I've a feeling that it wasn't the job that was the coolest thing, but you in the job. Go make the new one cool too.

     
  • At Sunday, June 17, 2007 8:38:00 AM, Blogger Norman

    Linda - lol, they actually had their "moments" with me (something about me being a witness in a lawsuit against them... roflmao). The big joke out there right now is that the REAL party for me will be on Monday!!

    Lisa - Thanks...I'm just nervous about a new job. What if my new boss is a total beeyotch? I don't play well with beeyotches.

    Sandra - :-). It WAS hard wasn't it? Did it take you by surprise too?

    Nancy - You're so sweet to say that. But I can honestly say that it WAS the job that was cool. Really. The new job isn't so cool...unless you think a call center is awesome. But I do plan on only being in that position for no more than a year. I'm basically going into an Entry Level position just to get more foot in the door. I'm WAY over-qualified for a call center. However - this employer is such that people with Master's degrees are going to be working side by side with me because everyone wants to work there.

     
  • At Sunday, June 17, 2007 12:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    *hugs* You sound like me when I graduated from college last month.

     
  • At Monday, June 18, 2007 12:05:00 PM, Blogger Nicki

    Oh sweetie. Having only worked 5 years at the same job, I wouldn't begin to know how you feel. Let's hope the new job is just as awesome.

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com