Sunday, August 03, 2008
overheard, overseen
I was poking around on my front porch yesterday morning, when I observed my neighbor's truck come screeching around the corner. If he could have been on two wheels turning the bend, he would have been. The fact that he was driving so fast was notable for a few reasons:

1) He's older than me. Much to old to be throwing in a demonstration of speed. Especially knowing my children love to run in the cul-de-sac....and HIS do too.

2) It was Saturday morning, early. What reason do you have to run around at top speed on Saturday morning?

3) It's a neighborhood. You don't haul ass unless you have a really good reason.

So of course, I figured he had to have a really good reason. I also have never seen him drive like this...something must REALLY be wrong.

Then my concerns were escalated when he laid on the horn and continued to blare his horn in front of his own house, screaming for his wife.

Sensing some early morning (8:30am) neighborhood drama, I sat down on my bench and watched. I mean - if we were closer friends, I would've gone over to see if everything was ok, but while I was pondering the thought of checking on their well-being, the neighbor's wife popped her head out of the door.

Not noticing his wife's head, the neighbor started alternating beeps with screaming her name: BEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPP CAAATHY!!!!! CAAAAAAAAAAATHY!!! BLEEEPPPP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPP!!!! CAAAAATHYYYYYYYYY!!!

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! " She screeched, shoving her bloated feet into hot pink crocs "WHAT'S WRONG!!!!!!!!!!?!"

"Caaaaaaaaaaaathy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" he yelled. "GARAGE SALE!!! RIGHT DOWN THE STREET!!! HURRY! PEOPLE ARE ALREADY THERE AND HE'S GOT MILK JUGS!!!"

Cathy ran to his truck, jumped inside and they were off. Silence fell upon the street, broken only by the sound of his diesel as it rounded a far off corner up ahead.

...cue the banjos
 
posted by Norman at 6:44 PM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com