Thursday, April 27, 2006
A post in which I'm very angry and ramble on and on
I'm royally pissed. ROYALLY! So if you don't want to read about how angry I am, and all the vile epitaths I will likely spew in this missive, please click onto the next blog....

Have I cleared out the people who aren't interested??

oh. ok - I'll wait for you to leave too...

**taps foot expectedly**

Great!

Let's begin now... shall we? I'm so fed up with the legal system at this time that I could just IMPLODE. I feel like SCREAMING! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHH! Ok. I feel much better. What's this about? Oh nothing big - just a $1000 dollar traffic ticket. Yeah. $1000 and no, it's not a DUI. Or a DWI. Whatever you want to call it nowadays. It's called a speeding ticket with an expired drivers license, no proof of insurance, and expired registration.... all in a construction zone. I didn't get this ticket. My HUSBAND got this ticket. I'm not mad at him for getting the ticket. I was with him when we got it. What infuriates me is the circumstance surrounding this ticket.

The Bubba Cop that pulled us over wrote on the ticket that we were in a construction zone. When my husband went to go take care of the ticket today, he was informed that the Court will dismiss the charges of Expired Drivers License, Expired Registration, and Insurance, since he could prove we do in fact, have all of those. That was great news!! Brought the total of the ticket down to $247. BUT, apparently - the Bubba Cop is a filthy, vile, dirty dawg liar that wrote constructions workers were present at the time of the violation, and therefore - we cannot get this ticket dismissed by my husband taking Defensive Driving. Aaaaaannddd... Since the constructions workers were present - the fine is now doubled.. $494... will that be cash or check?

So now we want to contest this ticket, but every frickin' lawyer that we talked to said that they can't help us. It's our word against the cops, and the court always defers to the law officer. WHAT THE FUCK? So - the court won't recognize that they might, just *might* have a crooked lying piece of shit patrolling the highways, raking in traffic fines in order to make money for their cheesy ass poor county? I'm so pisssssed!! What the hell can we do? It would cost more money for us to get a lawyer on this. And - get this - the Justice of the Peace that my husband talked to today said that he could go to court over it - but that if he's found 'guilty' all fines will be considered, and we would have to end up paying the $1000.

You know, if it was just a speeding fine, I would tell him, "Pay the ticket" or do defensive driving, but this is so clearly WRONG WRONG WRONG. And this is not the first time we've had to deal with the legal system and it's ineffectiveness.

When we bought this house we're living in, we were ecstatic. It was a dream come true. We'd been saving 7 years to buy a house, and get out of an apartment. We bought a house in a neighborhood that was good, close to the schools, and pushing the very top of our budget. We wanted a house that we'd be in for awhile, so we opted for a more expensive house, expecting that we were making an investment, and it could only appreciate in value. We got the disclosure on the house, no problems noted, got the inspection done on the house, no problems noted. Closed on the house and moved in. That's when the problems started. Ever seen the movie "The Money Pit"? Well - I think that movie was based on our house. The minute we moved in, everything started falling to shit. We had no hot water, well - we had hot water, it was just leaking out under our slab. The air conditioner was leaking all over the crawl space upstairs, and apparently we had a huge gas leak. When the various repair men would come in - they would tell us that nothing would be covered under the home warranty that came with our house, because everything was broken due to 'incorrect installation'. In my first week in my house, I had 5 men tunneling under the concrete slab, 2 men jackhammering into the foundation in the back room, 1 man replacing the gas line, another plumber telling me I needed a new sewage line and one guy telling me that I needed a new garbage disposal. I think the garbage disposal threw me over the edge...

We gathered up all the bills and headed to a lawyer for help. We were out $23,000. And not one single lawyer would help us, because there was not enough money in it for them. We had proof, we had witnesses, we had a signed contract stating that there was NOTHING WRONG WITH THE HOUSE. But no one would help us. Not enough money in it for them. Isn't that sweet? This whole ordeal was a fricking nightmare. It's been 4 years now, and we are JUST NOW getting back on our feet after losing our asses like that. And I guess it's just rubbing me the wrong way that we're mired up with the legal system yet again, and I feel so fucking helpless. Isn't the legal system supposed to help the PEOPLE??? NOT the lawmakers?

Yeah - I know it's only $494, but it pisses me off because it's WRONG!!! IT'S A LIE! It should be HALF that amount, and the only thing we did wrong was speed. OOOOOOO I'm so pissed again. This CAN'T be right.... it can't be allowed!! I need some suggestions now, because right now I'm wallowing in the "poor-pitiful-us-getting-kicked-around-by-the-law-and-legal-system again" thing. I'm not thinking straight.

Anybody have any advice on how we can take this to court... and WIN?? Because I'll fight it to the bitter end...
 
posted by Norman at 7:18 PM | Permalink |


14 Comments:


  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 12:05:00 AM, Blogger Dari

    That really made me feel sad, actually all the time I had been reading your blog never yet seen you so annoyed. Unfortunately life is somehow like that, swallow it and move on with your life, sometimes we comfort ourselves by claiming that we learned a lesson but in these matters there are no lessons. I am sorry but my advice is just paying it and forgetting it at the same time.

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 6:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Why don't you find out what construction company is actually doing the road work and contact them. If they were indeed NOT there, they will surely feel sorry for you and maybe offer a letter or something stating they were not working at the time. You could always take that with you to court!

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 7:17:00 AM, Blogger Michael

    Norman

    That just sucks.
    Angie has a great suggestion.

    Mine was you were screwed.

    Take Care
    Michael

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 8:00:00 AM, Blogger Wide Lawns

    I would be livid! I might get so mad that I would pop a blood vessel. Good luck. Are you mad at your husband?

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 3:24:00 PM, Blogger pack of 2

    See why I moved from TX?

    Sorry Norm...I have no advice! I am pissed for you if that helps!

    Good luck with that...I hope you beat it in court.

    Shelly

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 3:33:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    Dari - LOL. Yeah - I get pissy sometimes. But not too often. That's why people get shocked sometimes when I lose it...

    Angie - Thanks for the idea!! My husband has already contacted TXDoT and they said that they DO keep a 'diary' of work and they will gladly pull the records for us!

    Michael - I have a feeling we're screwed anyway. I'm just going to fight it for the hell of it. If they're going to stick us with the fine - I'm going to stick them with an OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT of exactly what I think of them...

    Wide Lawns - No. I'm not mad at my husband because I speed too.

    Pack of 2 - Thanks Shelly! I hope we beat it too!!

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 4:47:00 PM, Blogger Not-So-Naughty Voyeur

    I could cry over the house problems for you, that would be my worst nightmare. We basically saved forever too. I am going to touch every piece of wood in my home later!!

    However, on the ticket, cry. Oh wait, it's your husband. Well, he's screwed :) Unless it's a female judge?? Then cry!! BWAHHHAHAH!! Hey, it worked for me once. I liked the idea of calling the construction company, though.

    Good luck!!

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 5:32:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    NaughtyVoyeur - I don't think I'm ready to cry over that ticket just yet. Although - the judge IS a woman!! LOL

    Rachel - I understand what you're saying - but the thing is - the area we were in was virtually abandoned. There were no workers present at all... in fact - the only way we knew it was a construction zone was because the cop pointed out a small orange sign, that was on the OPPOSITE side of the highway facing oncoming traffic. It was not clearly marked....

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 6:24:00 PM, Blogger Tammy

    Damn. That just sucks. I'm with Angie. They do keep the records and will send you a print out of who was doing the construction during that time.

    Re: the house thing - I wish I'd known you then. You could have done a pro se (no attorney) suit before the statute ran out. I'm sure they would have either settled the case to save money or you would have had more time to find an attorney. DAMN!

    Did you at least turn them into the Better Business Bureau and whoever licenced the inspector?

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 6:24:00 PM, Blogger Monogram Queen

    Dang Norman this really does suck. I don't have anything helpful to offer except a cyber hug Honey. I hope you beat this thing and it's good TXDOT will pull their records. Boo Hiss to the crooked asshole cop!

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 6:51:00 PM, Blogger Aric Blue

    Here's the only way I can see you getting out of it: Go kill the cop. Then contest it.

    See, now it will be your word against a DEAD COP'S and in that instance they usually go with the living party.

    Other than that, no, welcome to the incredibly corrupt US legal system. It's trying very hard to keep up with the very corrupt government. Enjoy!

    (Sorry I have no real constructive comments--I'm as angry as you are about the general state of things...)

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 8:39:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    Tammy - Damn it... now i'm REALLY pissed off!!!! Where were you??!!! Not ONE of the 16 stinking lawyers that we visited told us we had that particular option... we tried to go through small claims court, but they said we couldn't "pare down" our claim to make the $5000 limit.... oh SONOFABITCH!! We would've won too!! I had proof!! All of the lawyers agreed we had a great case - but they just didn't have the 'time' (read: low money for them) to pursue it... sonuvabitches.. Oh..geez... OK - deep breathes... deeeeeeepp breaths... Ohhhhhmmmmmmmm Ohhhhmmmmmmm...

    Patticake - Thanks for the cyber hug!!! I really needed it after Tammy's revelation!

    Aric - oh my. That sounds blissful!! WOW! Did I just type that?! But my husband is nodding his head in agreement at what you've suggested.....

     
  • At Saturday, April 29, 2006 1:38:00 AM, Blogger Greg

    Norman don't get mad just get even.There are plenty of websites online to help you out. Just Google getting even or revenge. Even if you don't carry out these ideas just the thought of it will make you feel better.

    Peace

     
  • At Saturday, April 29, 2006 8:05:00 PM, Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky

    Amen Sista! Preach on!

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com