Monday, April 17, 2006
Between Amarillo and Dallas
There is not much of anything. It's just flat flat flat. Nothing much to see except empty open plains with an old house falling down here and there. And old rickety windmills out in the middle of wide expanse of open fields. Then you go through a small town and it's nothing but dusty old buildings that look like they were built in the 1950's (which they probably were) and never remodeled.

However - I lucked out on this particular road trip. The first bit of luck I caught was because my parents took my older children with them, so there were two less kids I had to entertain on the 7 hour drive. That just left me with the baby, and I sat in the back with her, watched "Baby Einstein" videos on the DVD and read while she napped. The second bit of luck I caught was during her nap. I was at a boring part of my book, and opted to gaze out the window at the blandness that is the Texas Panhandle. While I was staring, an 18-wheeler passed and I was treated to the COOLEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN on this particular stretch of roadway.

This 18 wheeler was hauling..... beehives. Beehives in square white boxes stacked one on top of each other, covered with a net, and swarming with thousands of angry buzzing bees. I immediately went into a frenzy, because - well - I was bored and this was just something new that I've never seen before. I whacked my husband on the back of the head and started yelling and asking him where the camera was. Poor guy almost drove into the bee truck because he was so startled. Wouldn't THAT have been funny... But here's some pictures of all the bees:




(Hey Shelly!! This post is for you! I thought of you and this post when I saw the truck!!)

Can you see where the bees are trying to get back in?? It was crazzeeee! I had the window down to try to get a better look, and then I noticed that even though the truck was moving - the bees were still flying around and trying to get in. About that time, my husband started saying that the bees were hitting the windshield, and I started worrying that some would get in the car and sting the baby and me, and then I would fling the camera out the window... so I shut the window. I also managed to get some video of this whole thing, but I think I was freaking out the truck driver so I stopped.

The other cool thing that I took a picture of was a town called "Medicine Mound Texas". The reason it is called that is because there are some HUGE MOUNDS out in the middle of the plains, that are apparently man-made. But I don't know WHEN they were made. I tried getting some info out of the internet on it, but all I could find (after like, 3 minutes worth of searching) was that the Comanche Indians considered it a magical place. Who made these mounds, why did they make these mounds, and what's in them? The largest peak is 235 feet high, which is pretty big for being man-made. The mounds are actually located on private property, so we couldn't go walk on them, but I took pictures!



Those mounds are about 10 miles away, and taken with a zoom lens, so that should give you some perspective on how big they are. Also - you need to consider that they are smack dab in the middle of the Texas Plains. We don't have hills around here, all the more reason why these things stick out like a sore thumb. There are actually 5 of the mounds, but I only got pics of the biggest ones...

So - anyone out there know anything about these Medicine Mounds? If you do - I'd sure like to know the following: Who built them, Why'd they build them, and What's in them?!

NORM!

p.s. you can click on the pictures above for the larger picture... it shows more detail!
 
posted by Norman at 8:24 PM | Permalink |


16 Comments:


  • At Monday, April 17, 2006 9:36:00 PM, Blogger Kami

    That bee truck is so cool!!

     
  • At Monday, April 17, 2006 10:51:00 PM, Blogger pack of 2

    OMG...I would die!!! How the hell does that guy stop for gas without getting arrested or something?

    I was very intrigued when I saw that picture...from the safety of my computer screen...LOL.

    THERE IS NO WAY that I would have allowed Ang to open the window...ARE YOU CRAZY NORM?

    Sheesh!!!

    Shelly

     
  • At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 8:22:00 AM, Blogger Monogram Queen

    Very cool and interesting post Norman. I hope you find out about the medecine mounds. I wouldn't have opened the window either! LOL I'm not "scared" of bees per se, but i'd rather not get stung either!

     
  • At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:48:00 AM, Blogger Michael

    Cool.

    Take Care
    Michael

     
  • At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:53:00 AM, Blogger Nicki

    When I lived in Florida, I was told any hills were landfills. Maybe that what the Medicine Mounds are.

    And I know I'm going to sound like everyone else, but those hives are awesome. I only see horses or chickens being carted around.

     
  • At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 11:10:00 AM, Blogger Wide Lawns

    Wow, those bees were really neat! I would have had a fit over that too. Whenever we are in the car and I see wildlife I go crazy and my husband gets so mad because I startle him. I saw a dolphin on Sunday and nearly caused an accident, but it was a DOLPHIN!

     
  • At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Tammy

    All I'm hearing is that you were in Dallas and didn't call me. Not that you have my phone number or anything!

    That bee truck is freaky. I wonder why one would meed to transport bees.

     
  • At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 4:49:00 PM, Blogger Normy

    Bee truck? Wow! Here in Indiana we just have stupid pig haulers... it's funny when you're stopped in traffic and there's a trailer next to you with a pig butt pressed against the air vents. Bees... that's cool!

     
  • At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 9:10:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    Kami - I thought so! You guys should have SEEN it! I'll try to post the video sometime (once we edit out the blurry parts)

    Shelly - HAHAHA!!! I really did think of you when I saw this. And I had to open the window to get the pictures...

    Patti cake - I'm still searching for more info on the Medicine Mounds!

    Michael - Thanks!

    Freak - No, I don't think they are landfills. They're too big. Besides - these mounds have been there since before the 1880's. I don't know the age of them, only that the Comanche Indians in the 1880's considered them magical.

    Wide Lawns... a DOLPHIN? Was it in a tank on an 18-wheeler? That would be cool!

    Tammy - LOL!! Last I heard, you were in Shreveport for some R&R... I didn't hear an INVITATION from you ... !! I just figured you would be busy with Easter fun with your family and didn't want to intrude!

    Normy - ewwww!! Pig Haulers!! We get lots of cattle trucks here. I hate being at the light and seeing the cows crapping out the sides... eewww just ewwwwww

     
  • At Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:29:00 AM, Blogger pack of 2

    You shoulda seen her Norm...she was skeered just looking at the pics. I thought the pictures were cool. But bees aren't my phobia...spiders are.

    Angie

     
  • At Wednesday, April 19, 2006 10:46:00 AM, Blogger Wide Lawns

    We were going over a bridge and I looked down at the water and lo and behold there was a dolphin jumping just like it was putting on a show. I almost peed myself from excitement.

     
  • At Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:26:00 PM, Blogger Stormieweather

    We have a mound like that around here - a little smaller though. I've been told that they're ancient Indian burial grounds.

     
  • At Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:55:00 PM, Blogger Stewie

    Cosigned on the coolness of the bees.

     
  • At Wednesday, April 19, 2006 6:17:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    Angie - LOL!! I can send you the full sized pics if you want!! Those are only sized to 1/2 of their real size!!

    Wide Lawns - that's so cool!! I wish I could see dolphins over here...

    Stormie - burial grounds??? tooo cooooolll

    Stewie - Cosigned even!!

     
  • At Thursday, July 13, 2006 11:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
    » » »

     
  • At Tuesday, September 19, 2006 6:50:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I know I'm late, but I just googled medicine mounds texas, and turns out it's a ghost town. Right up your alley? Most of the town was destroyed by fire, and even though they tried to rebuild, the town population just dwindled away. all they say about the actual mounds though are that they used to be burial and ceremonial grounds for the Comanches.

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com