Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Two-fer Tuesday
Sorry guys. I rarely raise 'hot-topics' on this board, since I like to keep it light-hearted... but I just couldn't pass this one up...

I'm sure I'll take some shots for this, but hey - it's my opinion!!

I got this over e-mail. Had to share!


In response to the "Not a Penny" Day where immigrants are asked not to spend a single cent on Monday to show the effect and importance of the immigrant on the economy. The message: "Don't buy gas, don't go to Wal Mart, don't go to lunch."

I would encourage all the hard working, tax paying, law abiding Americans, inlcuding those American citizens who became citizens by following the rules, to counter with our own "Not a Penny" Day, where we ask all Americans to NOT SPEND A PENNY ON AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT. Our message: "Don't let their children attend our schools, don't feed their children free breakfast and lunch, don't give them and their children free medical care, etc." Because, it works both ways. They can shout "We built everything." We can shout right back that maybe they have, but they didn't pay their fair share while they did it. All of us tax paying Americans pay for the illegal immigrant's assistance in many forms, including educating their children and providing some of the best medical care in the world. Illegal immigrants receive a whole lot more public funded assistance then I EVER have as a tax paying citizen. And finally, while you march in our streets under the protection of our civil rights to free speech and freedom of expression - wave the AMERICAN flag!

***************************************************
OK. Now I realize that this e-mail probably went out to everyone and their dog on Sunday or Monday, but I just now got it, read it and liked it. I was cruising around the blogosphere tonight, and one persons comment jumped out to me. "THE KEY WORD HERE IS 'ILLEGAL'" I don't have a problem so much with the people that immigrate here, and take steps to become LEGAL. Not at all. My grandparents were immigrants. They became American citizens LEGALLY by following the process!

Actually - today I was listening to Michael Medved, and he of course was discussing this topic. A person called in to offer their viewpoint, for the illegal immigrant side. She was calling from Dallas, and after a bit of confusion as to whether or not she was on the air, she began her comment:

Illegal person (IP): Hi. I'm 26. I've lived in Dallas, TX for like, 25 years and just got ordered back to Mexico on March 10.

Medved Show: But you're still here?

IP: Yeah.

Medved show: So now you're 'illegal'

IP: Yeah. And I would just like to say that I've been here since I was 9 months old. I've never lived in Mexico.

Medved Show: Ok. So what do you do?

IP: I'm a stay-at-home mom.

Medved Show: Sure, what does your husband do?

IP: Uh. I'm not married

Medved Show: So how do you support your child or children?

IP: [stammers] child support from their father....

Medved Show: OK. So you're here illegally, and you rely on child support. I don't really think you're helping your cause... but thanks for calling!! *click*

And that really happened on the show! Now - I really DO understand the point she was trying to make. For all intents and purposes, she believes she is an American citizen, because she was raised here, and has never lived in Mexico. Deporting her to Mexico now, at age 26, would be like plopping HER in a foreign country. I understand. But what I don't understand is why she never took steps to become a bona fide citizen? It's not like she didn't know she wasn't... And why didn't she take part of the amnesty when it was offered?? Why? Why are illegal immigrants acting as if we've never given them a freaking chance? Yes - this is the Land of Opportunity, but YOU have to make the Opportunity happen...and that means following our rules and regulations pertaining to obtaining citizenship.

OK. I'll get off my soapbox now.
 
posted by Norman at 9:16 PM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At Wednesday, April 12, 2006 10:14:00 AM, Blogger Monogram Queen

    this whole illegal immigrant/free ride thing really gets me steamed. I am with you 100% Norm.

     
  • At Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:23:00 PM, Blogger Greg the Surly

    I say nuke the bastids(no not really). As for the rest I agree. Become legal, pay taxes. If living here means that much, then do something about it. Stop standing around with your hand out expecting others to do it for you. Learn the language, at least enough to communicate, and earn the right to be a citizen. If they can't even make the effort, then yes, they need to go the fuck home. I know that many have made a positive contributions, thats great, but I don't want to pay for the ones who won't. And if they really cared about living here, they would too. The fact that so many have become vocal in protesting just shows how many feel the rules don't apply to them. Sorry for the rant.

     
  • At Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:36:00 PM, Blogger Nicki

    I don't think many illegals will be participating in the Not a Penny Day. How the hell will they know if they can't speakay de Englishay?

    Yeah, I know that's probably politically incorrect, but this topic gets me steamed. That and the opponents to giving birth control to teens in low income neighborhoods. AAARRRGH!

     
  • At Wednesday, April 12, 2006 8:47:00 PM, Blogger RVVagabond

    Me, four, Norman. It really frosts me that the illegal immigrants want to stay here and yet wave the Mexican flag. If you love your country so much, and send 1/2 of your money there, then go back there and live. You want the benefits of living in America, take the steps to become a citizen. Pay your fair share of taxes and then send money to Mexico.

     
  • At Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:24:00 PM, Blogger Stormieweather

    Norman, you plus the 4 above commenters took the words out of my mouth!

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com