Wednesday, April 19, 2006
Redneck Reflections
I was vegging out on my way home today, and my mind began to wander back to my younger, wildchild days. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that I'm still alive. Some of the things I've done in my past - YIKES! I guess my age finally hit me today. I can remember getting phone calls at 8:00pm at night from friends saying "Pack a bag - let's go to the coast, we'll be there in half an hour" So I would jam some clothes in a duffel, holler to my parents that I'd be back within the next few days, and take off for the coast. I can remember riding in the back of a truck with my friends and a cooler full of beer, staring up at the sky and all the stars as we headed for the coast in the early evening. We'd get there just in time to find a room, and head to the clubs. Fun times. One time, we had a bigger group than normal heading down to Padre. We took two trucks and drove down the highway side by side. I lifted up the cooler to grab a beer and found it empty. I checked out the other truck, and they had LOTS of beer. What's a girl to do? Well - THIS girl banged on the cab of the truck - told them to slow down, and launched herself into the other truck, driving down the highway at 50mph (they'd slowed down... thankfully). Oh - it was funny at the time - but now I look at my oldest and cringe at the myriad of 'wonderstunts' that she'll probably be pulling somewhere down the line.

I wonder if I'll catch her... or is she screwed 'cause I was such a hoodlum that she'll never get away with shit?
 
posted by Norman at 9:01 PM | Permalink |


11 Comments:


  • At Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:05:00 PM, Blogger pack of 2

    I know what you mean...I would never let my kids get away with stuff. I was a trouble maker & would be chaining my kid to the porch:)

    Shelly

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006 4:22:00 AM, Blogger Michael

    I thought about that with my kids too. Do I just close my eyes tight or do I police them until they hate me?

    Take Care
    Michael

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006 5:10:00 AM, Blogger RVVagabond

    You'll never catch her doing it, but you will hear about it in another 15-20 years as she casually drops it into the conversation. I've done it to my mom, our son does it to me. Paybacks, don'cha know?

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006 7:47:00 AM, Blogger Nap Queen

    I can't believe some of the stuff I did. My parents would DIE if they knew half of it. Good luck with your daughter :)

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:05:00 AM, Blogger Monogram Queen

    Ha Haaaa that sounds like us making runs to Myrtle Beach. I cringe to think of what Madison will be up to.

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006 6:56:00 PM, Blogger Nicki

    My sister-in-law was a wild child and she's always saying her girls are out of control and truth be told, they're good kids.

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006 7:10:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    Shelly - actually, I was thinking that bars might be just the thing to stick on their windows when they get older. I remember many a night sneaking out my window to go toilet papering....

    Michael - i don't know. if it means policing her and not letting her do the crap that I did? I might just deal with her hating me...

    Linda - Oh man... i STILL haven't worked up the nerve to tell my mom about some of our Mexico Run for the Border trips...

    Nap Queen - YES!! EXACTLY!! And I don't want to die when she starts telling me the stuff SHE'S going to be doing!!

    Patti cake - It's scary, isn't it?!

    Alexandria - Yes, I think I'm waaaay tame now. In fact, sometimes I think I border on frumpy and boring now.

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006 7:16:00 PM, Blogger Mise en Place

    Ah, the reflection of wild times......there fun aren't they?

    LOL!

     
  • At Friday, April 21, 2006 7:02:00 AM, Blogger Tammy

    At the time we thought we were the shit. Now we just think we were stupid. Or is it just me?

     
  • At Friday, April 21, 2006 1:46:00 PM, Blogger Spicy Cracker

    Ever realize at 16 we were all badasses and knew everything about the world you couldn't tell us anything... and now as days, weeks, months, years go by we realize how freakin stupid we really are? I know less and less every day... Oh the countless raves I went too... even talked my 62 year old dad into going and buying my tickets for me... good times good times...

     
  • At Friday, April 21, 2006 9:01:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    MomyblogR - oooooo yeah. They were fun. Every now and then I get to cut loose and act the idiot - but then I scare myself with my perfect imitation of lunacy - so I stop...

    Tammy - Nah - I think I was stooopid too.

    Spicy - I will have to say that as CRAZY and as STUPID as I ever was, I never EVER got to go to Rave. I guess I missed out on sumpin'.. huh?

    Norm!

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com