Monday, August 21, 2006
Yummy times with Norman
Remember this post? I would like to add another fear to my list.

Crescent Roll Cans (or biscuit cans, or whatever the hell else comes in one of these freaky ass cans)

You know... The peel-n-pop cans. You start peeling the labels and the can splits open? Just about makes me crap my pants every time. I had to open two such cans yesterday, and I had to run to the restroom after each one. I hate 'em! I wish they would go back to the old way. Remember the old way? You'd peel the label off, and then wham it against the counter to split it open? Then they went to the spoon pop. Where you would press a spoon against the seam and it would pop open. That still scared me, cause it was so sudden, but it was marginally better than the peel-n-pop. But nOOoOoOOooooOOooo.. It's the stupid peel-n-pop. I was trying to peel it open slowly yesterday, cause it had a "box-top" label on it. I save those to send to the kids schools. So I didn't want to tear it. I peeled the label and FFFFOOOOFFF the can split open, and split the label at the same time. Pissed me right off... after I had just about pissed myself too out of fear.

But alas - I'm forced to use the peel-n-pop cans in order to concoct this yummy goodness:

The Sopapilla Cheesecake.

It takes about 10 minutes to make (bathroom breaks included to get over the sudden pop), 30 minutes to bake, and 15 minutes for it to disappear. Whenever I make this, I generally bring along copies of the recipe - since everyone mauls me for a copy. So you - dear blogging friends, are welcome to a copy of this cheesecake.

Sopapilla Cheesecake

2 cans of crescent rolls
2 eight oz packages of cream cheese
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Open one can of crescent rolls (POP!) and spread over the bottom of a rectangular pan, pinching seams together and forming a crust.

Melt cream cheese in microwave (stirring for even melting), add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 cup sugar. Mix well, and pour over crescent roll crust.

Open second can of crescent rolls (POP!) and spread it out on wax paper, flatten out to form a top crust (pinching seams). Invert over cream cheese mixture and peel off wax paper.

Melt the butter in the microwave, add 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix well and spread over the top crescent roll layer evenly.

Bake at 375 for approx. 30 minutes (or until golden brown).


MMMMmmMMMMMmmmmMMMM goood!! And why shouldn't it be good? It's got 1 1/2 CUPS OF SUGAR IN IT! Now, I haven't tried to do it yet - but if you use this recipe, you are welcome to try the Bakers Splenda and let me know how it turns out.


So I think I might have a recipe day on this blog. We get tired in my house of eating the same old things, so I'm always checking out new & interesting recipes. Would you guys be interested in participating? I'll pick a day of the week to post a recipe that is simply AWESOME. (much like the above yummy cheesecake), and you are welcome to thief it from me. Also - you are welcome to post your own fav recipe for everyone else to try.

Who's up for this?!

Oh and by the way, as of 6:45am this morning (while I'm typing this....) it appears to ME that Frank N Furter is WINNING THIS POLL!! Yes, that's right - he's beating the pants off Jennifer!! No wonder she looks so pissed in that picture! She's losing to a tranny!

What? Hey. I told ya'll this is MY blog and I'll interpret the votes anywayiwanna. So keep on voting and I'll call the winner tonight when I get home from work!

nOrMaN
 
posted by Norman at 4:46 AM | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At Monday, August 21, 2006 7:31:00 AM, Blogger Wide Lawns

    Im up for it! At one point I was actually considering starting a food blog, but Wide Lawns happened instead. I used to be a chef. I will definitely contribute some recipe ideas, and I have been kind of in a food rut lately too, so I need some inspiration badly. Healthy inspiration preferably, as I still need to fit into the fancy dress.

     
  • At Monday, August 21, 2006 8:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I have long made this for my family, only we call it "Breakfast Bread". You are right, it is YUMMY!!! :)

     
  • At Monday, August 21, 2006 1:36:00 PM, Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography

    I hate those cans they scare the living shit out of me too, when I was married I would always make the husband do it if he was around! Hate them, now I have to do it all by myself!

     
  • At Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:19:00 AM, Blogger RVVagabond

    Aarrgghhh-I gained ten pounds while laid up recuperating from the knee surgery and you post a sugary-goodness recipe. We will be running to the store to get the necessary ingredients to try this. I'm up for the recipe exchange/post.

     
  • At Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:45:00 AM, Blogger Fabnormal

    eww, I hate those popping cans too! I cringe and shut my eyes everytime I go to open one like I am some sort of goddamn bomb squad worker.

     
  • At Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Just found your blog. Just in time to try the recipe for my visiting, sugar loving daughter. Am adding this blog to my favorites!

     
  • At Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:28:00 PM, Blogger Spicy Cracker

    you had me at cream cheese... you had me at cream cheese

    HUGS***

     
  • At Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:42:00 PM, Blogger Norman

    Wide Lawns - Yay!! I'll come up with some sorta kinda healthy stuff. (sorta), meaning "no sugar added". But I lurve me some sugary sweetness!

    Bitchy Chick - Really?? You have it for breakfast! HOT DAMN!! Now I have something for breakfast that the kids will eat!!

    TBG - I peeled a can of them today (cause I made the cheesecake to bring to work), and it DIDN'T pop open. I swear it was like a grenade with the pin pulled. So I finally hurled it into the sink and THERE! It POPPED!

    Linda - it's okay!! If you don't think about the sugar, it doesn't count.

    A taste that's bitter - Thank you!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!

    VC - hey! Welcome and let me know how it turns out! I guarantee she'll want the recipe!

    Spicy - hehehee... you've been watching too much Jerry Maguire!!


    NORMAN!

     
  • At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    In the "Sweet Potato Queen" books I think they are called "whomp biscuits" 'cuz you have to whomp them on the counter.

    But you can call them "scare the pee outta me biscuits" if you want to.

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com