Thursday, October 12, 2006
Nephew Update
Hey guys - my nephew had his MRI this morning, and the diagnosis of "Osteomylitis" has been confirmed. I'm not quite sure what this is - other than a bone infection. You can bet that I'm reading up on it right now.

I do know that if he doesn't respond to the antibiotics they've placed him on - he stands a chance of losing his foot. This tears me up. The little guy is Ethan's partner in crime when he comes to visit. He's completely adorable and only 3 years old. He's my sister's only child and she is just beside herself right now. He has to stay in the hospital for the next several days. Before he goes home, they are going to stick a catheter in his arm, and he'll have to have meds intravenously for the next couple of months. His doctor has also prescribed a Home Health Nurse to come to the house part time while he gets thru this stuff.

I wish I wasn't so far away so that I could go help her out - but we're about 9 hours apart. Texas is a damn big state. Luckily - my mother is there now helping her.

I just wanted to thank you guys again for the good wishes you left below. I know we don't know each other in "real life", but I'm continually amazed by the way you keep my spirits up when things go wrong. You guys really are great people, and I want each and every one of you to reach around right now - and pat yourself on the back. Oh hell - just go ahead and hug yourself!! (see - now I'm getting all mushy).

I'll be back tomorrow with my typical dumb-assedness. Right now I've got some reading up to do.

Norm.
 
posted by Norman at 7:32 PM | Permalink |


13 Comments:


  • At Thursday, October 12, 2006 8:18:00 PM, Blogger pack of 2

    Keeping my fingers crossed that the antibiotics work!!!!

    Kids are resilient Norm. Sending all my good vibes your way.

    Angie

     
  • At Thursday, October 12, 2006 8:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh Sweetie,
    I am so sorry to read this! Poor little guy! I`m praying as I`m typing. Chin up- he WILL be fine!

     
  • At Thursday, October 12, 2006 8:36:00 PM, Blogger Spicy Cracker

    I will keep him in my positive thoughts! Head up and pray for the best.

     
  • At Thursday, October 12, 2006 9:37:00 PM, Blogger Kim

    I'll keep him in my prayers Norm!

     
  • At Thursday, October 12, 2006 10:56:00 PM, Blogger The Meganekko

    As I said before, I will definately be keeping him in my prayers. I've been having a rough week, but it doesn't even compare to what you and your family must be going through right now. The antibiotics will work - I bet he's a tough little guy. He'll probably kick this illness and be back to making mischief in no time!

     
  • At Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:58:00 PM, Blogger Aric Blue

    Geez, sorry to hear it!

    (but to be honest, right after this I'm gonna do a little more than hug myself. I don't know what it is, but I just can't stop myself at just a hug!)
    :)

     
  • At Friday, October 13, 2006 1:01:00 AM, Blogger Dari

    I don't know if this also works from this end of the world, but I am keeping him on my prayers too, hope he gets well and all of his family have their smiles back.....keep us updated please

     
  • At Friday, October 13, 2006 5:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey Norm! You know I did research too, did they say whether it was chronic or acute? From what I read, the younger you are the easier and more probability of being cured with antibiotics. He's a tough cookie Norm, he'll get through this. Please keep us updated, we'll pray and pray until he's back to being a partner in crime!

     
  • At Friday, October 13, 2006 8:27:00 AM, Blogger erica

    Normal, I said a lilttel prayer for him.

    You know, my little cousin was two when he stopped speaking and eating, they found a brain tumor that in a month grew all the way around his brain and was coming out his ears. He miraculously survived. Little bodies are just amazing.

     
  • At Friday, October 13, 2006 9:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Norm, stay positive! Little ones are so amazingly resilient.
    Its heartbreaking to watch and feel so helpless, but these little guys are so strong.
    I will continue to think of you and your family. Please keep us updated. (((hugs)))

     
  • At Friday, October 13, 2006 10:33:00 AM, Blogger Nicki

    I'm so sorry to hear that, Norm. And I have a feeling if you take that 9 hour trip, it won't feel like it's that long at all.

    Stay strong, and if you need anything, I'm here.

     
  • At Friday, October 13, 2006 12:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your little nephew! I will be sending positive thoughts your way. Please let us know how he is doing.

     
  • At Friday, October 13, 2006 8:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm sending prayers yours and your sister and nephew's way. It is the most frustrating feeling in the world when you can't do anything isn't it? But you are doing the best you can reading up on it, so your sister won't be alone in this.

    Keep us posted!

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com