Sunday, October 15, 2006
oh no. i'm old. i'm turning into my mother. i'm old
I'll tell you what. This "Emo" phase better be overwith by the time my girls start dating. I was talking to my friend's 15 year old daughter last night. She kinda borders on the "goth" look, only without all the piercings. She's got the dark hair, black clothing, and pouty look down, but her mom (the one with good sense), won't let her put the bright red or purple streaks in her hair - no face piercings or tats, or black fingernail polish. She won't allow it. Such a smart mommy.

But I was talking to her, and she was actually not being so pouty. She was talking about a guy that she really really really really really really really really really really really really really really likes (and trust me, I'm deleting some of all the "really's" that she said) and was very excited because he was coming up to visit her here in a bit. She kept asking me if she looked good enough, and was her hair all right and did her make up look ok.... in other words, she was acting like a teen age girl with a crush. Then she started telling me how I should act when he showed up.

According to her, I could look at him, but I shouldn't stare at him. (I'm being taught etiquette by a 15 year old!?!) I shouldn't ask him any questions and really...it would be best if I just didn't talk to him at all. She didn't want me to hurt his feelings.

huh? Why shouldn't I talk? What's going on? I looked towards the girl's parents, and they were cracking up. "Why don't you tell her the rest of the story!!! " said the mommy to the 15 year old. "Yeah - tell me what's up. " I said "Why can't I talk to someone?? Last time I checked, I did whatever the hell I wanted to do." So she sorta mumbled that he was an Emo.

"He's a what? An Emu? Do you mean he's dressed up like an Emu for Halloween? That's weird!"

"No!!!!! Omigawd - he's like ... an EMO. You know - all dark and mysterious and they care!! They really CARE about me as a girl and things I feel and you know - they're just in touch with ME........." "....and they wear girl's jeans and makeup!!", said the girl's dad - interrupting her poetic speech about the virtue of the Emo.

OK - so by now I'm cracking up.... cause when we were younger - we called guys that wore women's clothing and makeup TRANNIES, which of course is short for Transvestites. But apparently - I was wrong. As the girl was trying to tell me - this Emo is not as "whiney" as most Emos. So she really thinks he's deep. And he only wears girls pants - not their underwear.

okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. I'm old - cause I'm totally not getting it.

This trannie emo phase better be over by the time MY girls get old enough to date.



***OK , I forgot to add that the weekend poll is pretty tight. I will close it tomorrow when I get home from work - but make sure you vote !!!! This is a close race! ***
 
posted by Norman at 5:15 PM | Permalink |


8 Comments:


  • At Monday, October 16, 2006 12:09:00 AM, Blogger Unknown

    The thing is, is that the emo phase is just basically like robert smith from the cure and isn't he old enough to be someones grandpa?

    everything old is new again.

    and teenage girls never know what lurks in the hearts of even sensitive teenage boys.

     
  • At Monday, October 16, 2006 4:46:00 AM, Blogger Norman

    Adeline - OOOOOOoooooOOOoooh!! I never thought of that!!! Yeah - I guess Robert Smith would be in the Emo thingie - huh?

    You see - her little EMO never showed up, so she was broken hearted and worried that he might have slit his wrists. So I never really got to see him - but they were explaining the whole Emo/Nemo to me (see?? I learned that a "Nemo" is a sub-culture of the Emo... a deeper more dedicated Emo, if you will.... god save us)

    LOL

    Norman!

     
  • At Monday, October 16, 2006 5:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    What?

    Mind you, I did have a young female engineer working for me once who liked effeminate teenage boys. Let's just say I don't think I was her type!

    Just on a practicle note, if a gentleman where to try to fit in to a pair of ladies jeans what do you do with the meat and two veg???? I mean ouch.

    Anyway, each to their own I suppose.

    *walks away shaking head in confusion*

     
  • At Monday, October 16, 2006 7:37:00 AM, Blogger Spicy Cracker

    The young 16/19 year old Emo's at my college are an odd bunch. That whole tight leg jean all the way to the ankle is back in and boys wearing bandana head bands...and most of them cut themselves here. boys with girl hair cuts and girl with boy haircuts.

    I sat next to an emo guy in my photography class he wasn't a bad guy. He would tell me how Kids are always wanting to beat him up and give him a hard time. (While in highschool during the day) I just told him... well sometimes you have to go through hard times to find out who you really are. Just because you're doing something to be different are you really different if other people are doing the same thing?

    Next time I saw him ... new hair cut and no bandana.... baby steps... I'm changing the world one emo kid at a time...

     
  • At Monday, October 16, 2006 8:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Wow, I am so out of touch. Last year Emos were punk rockers that dressed a bit strange but I didn't think cross dressing was manditory. I am far to old to keep up. I am going to pull out my Who albums, get high and think about the good ole days.

     
  • At Monday, October 16, 2006 9:01:00 AM, Blogger Dari

    I have seen this scenario earlier, where did I.....where did I....where did I?

    I guess in my home, just couple of months ago.

    Know what, all over the world...it is the same

     
  • At Monday, October 16, 2006 9:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hold on...I'm confused.

    My little sister just broke up with a guy BECAUSE he was too emo. Meaning he was too emotional.

    I shall ask her today if he wore women's clothing.

    I'm so confused...I'm glad i have boys....unless they're emus too? what's the plural for emu/emo? Emi? too much thinking too early in the morning.

     
  • At Monday, October 16, 2006 12:22:00 PM, Blogger erica

    I always get Emo and Goth mixed up/together. They both wear the black clothes and the skinny pants and the Doc Martens (ALWAYS with the Doc Martens). In high school we used to call the goth kids Bat Cavers. So, if Emo kids also wear the black eyeliner, does that make them Goth too? Is the fabric of space/time now going to fold in upon itself? Ick.

     
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com